Cleaner vs fire shrimp

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was pretty excited to have two skunk cleaners in my 20 gallon, but now they have become little monsters since the tank is running fallow. They are stealing food from corals, which I now know is to be expected. I originally picked them because they are more social and come out during the day. However, I’m tempted to switch to a single fire shrimp, hoping they’ll be less likely to steal food from corals. Would love people’s thoughts on this issue after keeping both shrimps and feeding their corals.

Thanks!

azzubr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire shrimps will also get hungry lol and I've had them steal some food, every shrimp is different though. Fire shrimps do hide more from my experience

Rusty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was pretty excited to have two skunk cleaners in my 20 gallon, but now they have become little monsters since the tank is running fallow. They are stealing food from corals, which I now know is to be expected. I originally picked them because they are more social and come out during the day. However, I’m tempted to switch to a single fire shrimp, hoping they’ll be less likely to steal food from corals. Would love people’s thoughts on this issue after keeping both shrimps and feeding their corals.

Thanks!
I have had both, they both will steal food from corals. The trick is to give them a chunk of shrimp/crab( something meaty) this keeps them busy for a bit. Then you can feed your corals.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not kept fire shrimp but I find the interaction between my cleaner shrimp and fish fascinating. I just make sure to feed enough so corals and shrimp are satisfied.

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fire shrimp likes to sit around the back of my rock work most of the time but it's far from shy when food is concerned. It'll even chase my clowns if it decides a certain morsel belongs to it. I doubt a fire shrimp will be any different from the skunks when food is involved. I'd feed the shrimp something chunky first (mine loves chopped mussels) and feed the corals a few minutes later while the shrimp are occupied by their food.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have skunks, peppermints, sexy, and a fire in mine.

2 skunks are jerks
3 peppermints are jerks
5 sexy shrimp. They really don’t do anything but dance all day in random spots, like one of those weird flash mob things.
1 huge fire shrimp. He doesn’t bother a thing. Hides until feeding time. He actually never steals any food.

Like stated. Shrimps are just a roll of the dice on attitude.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for the many responses! Based on all the feedback, I won’t be going through the hassle of swapping out my shrimps. It seems like a distraction is probably what I need while the corals get time to ingest the food. I think I’m going to try the fish food that you can stick onto the aquarium glass and stuff it in a corner so my shrimps are preoccupied. Then do my target feeding. It’s funny to see them freak out when you blast reef roids powder into the tank and they try to trace it down but end up confused since it’s too diluted.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back