Ollie's Got a 3 Footer!

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Got my tank ordered yesterday for my new setup so I thought start a build thread :)
I've gone slightly longer than the originally planned 30" with a 36"x 16"x 18" (LxWxH) rimless/braceless in 10mm low iron glass.

This will be my first AIO, my previous tanks have all been sumped. So I'm after some Input on construction and what sort of functionality people actually look for in an AIO setup

I'm planning a custom AIO type filter unit with a floss tray in the overflow, a built in upflow ATS, media baskets and ATO.

Here's a couple of 3D graphics of what I'm planning
From the RH end
45161636505_1ebb83b31e_z.jpg

L/H chamber is the overflow and will have an egg crate tray for floss just under the teeth, the R/H chamber will hold the ATS

From the back
46073218001_849fa03229_z.jpg

L to R is the ATS, next chamber is for the media baskets, followed by the bubble trap which will hold the heater and the final chamber will hold the return and ATO sensor.

From the front
46073217801_474eb150c9_z.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Got my tank ordered yesterday for my new setup so I thought start a build thread :)
I've gone slightly longer than the originally planned 30" with a 36"x 16"x 18" (LxWxH) rimless/braceless in 10mm low iron glass.

This will be my first AIO, my previous tanks have all been sumped. So I'm after some Input on construction and what sort of functionality people actually look for in an AIO setup

I'm planning a custom AIO type filter unit with a floss tray in the overflow, a built in upflow ATS, media baskets and ATO.

Here's a couple of 3D graphics of what I'm planning
From the RH end
45161636505_1ebb83b31e_z.jpg

L/H chamber is the overflow and will have an egg crate tray for floss just under the teeth, the R/H chamber will hold the ATS

From the back
46073218001_849fa03229_z.jpg

L to R is the ATS, next chamber is for the media baskets, followed by the bubble trap which will hold the heater and the final chamber will hold the return and ATO sensor.

From the front
46073217801_474eb150c9_z.jpg

Nice! I considered an upflow ATS in my 45 gallon AIO. I will be interested in seeing how yours works out.

OP
OP
OllieNZ

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks super neat! Following along! :D
Nice! I considered an upflow ATS in my 45 gallon AIO. I will be interested in seeing how yours works out.
Me too lol. I was going to put one in my last tank but ran chaeto in the sump instead. I'm keen to try the ATS this time around.

Great plans so far, and welcome to R2R as well!

Any thoughts on the thickness of the acrylic for the filter? Is 5mm enough or should I go for 1/4"

OP
OP
OllieNZ

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick sketch for the upflow ATS
46052990832_e997f66e1a_z.jpg

46103102101_c03198fed1_z.jpg

The whole unit will be removable along with just the screen (not drawn in) for ease of maintenance.

OP
OP
OllieNZ

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the design. I build a 33 AIO and it turned out great. What type of system are you going to run? Mixed reef? LPS? SPS?
Thanks,
Planning a mixed reef. Mainly softies/zoas initially then followed by some LPS once I'm happy it's settled and then if I can trust myself maybe an SPS or 2. I'd also love an RBTA at some point too

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
Planning a mixed reef. Mainly softies/zoas initially then followed by some LPS once I'm happy it's settled and then if I can trust myself maybe an SPS or 2. I'd also love an RBTA at some point too
Nice, was just asking because I was wondering what you were going to do for a skimmer. As far as SPS goes, if you want to test how they'd do, Id recommend a red monti cap. Ive found this coral to be bulletproof (and cheap), always a goof first SPS addition IMO.

OP
OP
OllieNZ

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, was just asking because I was wondering what you were going to do for a skimmer. As far as SPS goes, if you want to test how they'd do, Id recommend a red monti cap. Ive found this coral to be bulletproof (and cheap), always a goof first SPS addition IMO.

I'm not planning on using a skimmer at this point but there will be sufficient space to fit a tunze 9001 in the media compartment and a bio pellet reactor in place of the ATS should the ATS not work out. I'll make the media baskets in such a way that they'll be able to go under the filter floss compartment in the weir. I'm trying to keep it as simple and modular as possible so I'm not limited to following a certain path just because of the design.
Montis are definitely an option, I also like purple hystix.

I'd already spotted your build (sweet btw) and was wondering what outlets you're using?

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not planning on using a skimmer at this point but there will be sufficient space to fit a tunze 9001 in the media compartment and a bio pellet reactor in place of the ATS should the ATS not work out. I'll make the media baskets in such a way that they'll be able to go under the filter floss compartment in the weir. I'm trying to keep it as simple and modular as possible so I'm not limited to following a certain path just because of the design.
Montis are definitely an option, I also like purple hystix.

I'd already spotted your build (sweet btw) and was wondering what outlets you're using?

Thanks! What do you mean by outlets?

OP
OP
OllieNZ

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank finally turned up this weekend.
Acrylic turned up today and also been on trip to the LFS to pick up the sand, hopefully there will be a few more frequent updates now the tank is here.
0fbff298705f93245a568a59397042c2.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back