Cleaning a really crusty Nanostream?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically I'll clean crusty pumps with a 50% vinegar/water solution - more or less. Up to 100% for spot treatments (e.g. crusty impeller well).

Is there anything wrong with going up to 100% vinegar on a pump like the 6045 that has no rubber seals?

Lastly, is there a specific cleaning procedure you'd care to recommend for a nanostream when prior to cleaning it looks like this...
IMG_1291.jpg

...and is making loud noises? If there is any, I'd be happy to take some advice! :nerd:

(This is for posterity as the question seems to come up regularly - and to show off the cool coraline growth. ;) A 25% vinegar solution and a little elbow grease got it back into fine working shape in the case pictured.)

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I can't fully recommend it, I use The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner on any sort of lime scale or calcium related deposits. The active ingredient is hydrochloric acid and it works better than anything else I've tried. I could make that pump look like new with hardly any scrubbing. Just squirt, let sit a minute and squirt again. Also great for old tanks that have that seemingly permanent white haze near the top.

BUT, this stuff is potent. WEAR GLOVES. Rinse well when done. I use the Original formula that comes in the blue bottle for a dollar and also use it in the dishwasher since we have very hard water and no softener. I started using it when CLR dumbed down their formula and never had a problem but always use caution and rinse VERY well just in case.

Using lemon juice or vinegar is probably a much better idea for most people and that is what I would advise officially.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using lemon juice or vinegar is probably a much better idea for most people and that is what I would advise officially.

Same here. I soak mine in a heavy vinegar/water mix and plug it in and let it run overnight. I can usually rinse the coraline off with warm tap water after that. Soak again if needed.

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give mine a good rinse in cold water followed up by a quick soak in some 130 degree water to kill all the critters and such. Then a quick brushing to get off the loose stuff. Then a 24hour soak in vinegar and some RODI. I then do another 10 min soak in the HOT water and just about everything comes off nice and easy. Just be careful the hot water will soften the plastic if you leave it in too long. I make sure to put it all back together wet as it helps the pump restart when plugged back in.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have done an almost full vinegar bath.

Craig Borowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Matt,

That is some very impressive coralline growth. I would suggest scraping off what you can by hand then running the pump overnight in a 50/50 vinegar/water solution. Afterwards take it apart and remove the impeller and clean off what you can, reassemble, rinse and reinstall. Take a good look at the impeller when it's disassembled, just to make sure it's not too scored or scratched.

After that, you should be good to go.

Craig

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back