Cleaning a really difficult used glass tank

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a friend dropped by a while bank and gave me a full 30g long setup, lights and everything. The tank hadn't been used in a long time and there's a great deal of stuff on the glass. I searched on here, got out the scrub brush and white vinegar, and went to town on it. No dice. I then filled it with 25 gallons of water, 4 gallons of white vinegar, and a gallon of muriatic acid. Again no dice. I drained it, and then went at it with some 4-0 steel wool I use on car windshields. No go. It appears to be calcium buildup, but I can't see how it can and have resisted all of my attempts at cleaning it. It's flush against the glass and is obviously water lines.

Any suggestions on cleaning this thing?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diluted muriatic acid. I think I used one cup of acid per 10 cups of water then sprayed it on. You likely didn’t have it strong enough trying to fill the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So a friend dropped by a while bank and gave me a full 30g long setup, lights and everything. The tank hadn't been used in a long time and there's a great deal of stuff on the glass. I searched on here, got out the scrub brush and white vinegar, and went to town on it. No dice. I then filled it with 25 gallons of water, 4 gallons of white vinegar, and a gallon of muriatic acid. Again no dice. I drained it, and then went at it with some 4-0 steel wool I use on car windshields. No go. It appears to be calcium buildup, but I can't see how it can and have resisted all of my attempts at cleaning it. It's flush against the glass and is obviously water lines.

Any suggestions on cleaning this thing?
Vinegar and water and a magic eraser sponge- ORIGINAL - Not Scented

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, just a quick update. I've filled it back up with hot water, and then added: 4 gallons white vinegar, 9.5 lbs citric acid, and 2 gallons of muriatic acid. I'm going to let it soak overnight and then try again tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll pull out the barkeeper's friend and see if that works.

Thanks all :)

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that be harmful? I'm not too familiar with oxalic acid.
No, I have used before just rinse well like you would with anything you use to clean with. I used it on on some pretty nasty aquariums in the past and it has worked well.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I'm lost. I've tried tons of stuff now. Undiluted muriatic acid has no effect. Barkeeper's friend has no effect. White vinegar has no effect. Is it possible something has gotten into the glass itself, or maybe it's something not calcium related? Acids seem to have no effect at all.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you are too impatient. Some times I have to let pumps stay in a citric acid bath for a few days, and that is fresh out of the water, not something that has been dried out for months.
But yes, it does sound crazy that you put in 10 lbs. of citric and it has done nothing...

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you are too impatient. Some times I have to let pumps stay in a citric acid bath for a few days, and that is fresh out of the water, not something that has been dried out for months.
But yes, it does sound crazy that you put in 10 lbs. of citric and it has done nothing

That was my thought as well. I just can't seem to figure out what's going on. I've kept acid on it for several days now.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'd let it sit longer. Otherwise I imagine clear PVC cleaner would do the trick but not sure how the cleanup from that would be..

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you probably spend more money on chemicals then new 30g tank worth!

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be etched. If that is the case it will need polished rather than scrubbed. Some calcifirous organisms can etch glass. That said, barkeepers friend has always worked well for me.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL... yeah, quite likely. Fortunately I had all of them except the muriatic acid sitting around :)
but im serious, is this thank has overflow build in? i mean if not doesn't Petco sells those for $1/gallon tanks? also are those spots really noticeably when you fill it with water?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back