Cleaning a used tank - Citric Acid / Bleach / Vinegar...what should I use for this AIO?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I just purchased a used 30gl JBJ AIO tank and would like to make sure it is sterilized so to speak as I am not sure of its history. It does seem it may have been a FW tank as there is no Calcium/Coralline anywhere from what I see. With that said, is it best to just fill it with a bleach/water mix and let is sit for 24hrs, or should I wipe it down with Vinegar/water mix and then soak the pumps in a Citric Acid mix? This is my first time buying a used tank. I am read many posts on all 3 popular options, just not sure what is the best option for my situation.

Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks

I just purchased a used 30gl AIO Tank as shown in the picture
IMG_8022.jpg
IMG_8021.jpg
IMG_8019.jpg

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use vinegar and water every time ( I almost never buy a brand new tank) and it works great every time. If there’s dried on algae you can even use baking soda to help remove it.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps use citric acid. I use vinegar or just a lemon on glass

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use vinegar and water every time ( I almost never buy a brand new tank) and it works great every time. If there’s dried on algae you can even use baking soda to help remove it.
What ratio of water and vinegar do you use, or are you using straight vinegar?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree vinegar works well for the tank and citric acid for pumps of you got it.
if not vinegar will work too.

as far as ratio goes....its some to some...lol
I have never measured....I would say 1/4 to 1/2 gallon for a 30 gallon tank.
this is what I would do: get it all set up fill with some water then add a good amount of vinegar then fell the rest of the way up and let run for 8-24hrs

nice tank BTW

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use pickling vinegar (it's white) which is 7% acetic acid vs. 5% with regular vinegar. If there are stubborn things stuck on the glass (salt, algae, etc.) I spray it on undiluted and let it sit for five/ten minutes then wipe (repeat if necessary). I also use it diluted (approx 1:4 or 1:3 ratio) through pumps (sometimes I let them soak) followed by freshwater rinse on everything. Note: I don't leave the vinegar undiluted on seams for any length of time. If there's something stuck on seams I spray let sit for a minute then wipe and repeat if necessary. Maybe acetic acid on seams is fine. I'm just paranoid about anything related to the seams. Haha. Glass/plastic is fine to sit and soak. I also take comfort in it being safer than bleach.

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ratio of water and vinegar do you use, or are you using straight vinegar?
I just eyeball it personally, probably 1/2 a cup or so for every 10-15 gallons. It’s ok if to much gets added because all you have to do is rinse it. I just use distilled white vinegar.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back