Cleaning a used tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter LetItReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 29, 2014
Messages
2,921
Reaction score
1,434
Location
San Diego, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Got a used tank and need some opinions on how to clean the tank and its equipments. I have read distilled vinegar and good elbow grease.
Can I use baking soda or what works?

GO GSW!
 
Baking soda is great to use, people dose it. Vinegar too.

Just make sure you rinse well.
 
Good soak in vinegar and razor blade to scrape the glass and your all set. Just make sure glass is wet when you scrape so you don't scratch glass.
 
I wonder what ratio of BS and water it would be. I will just wing it :)

I have seen a video running a tap water and distilled vinegar on the entire tank for couple of days and cleaned up well.

Tank is Glass
 
Distilled vinegar works wonders. I filled my tank up with water and vinegar, threw in a pump and turned it on.... Like magic my friend.... Like magic!
 
I will try this but how many times did you rinse and drain the entire tank to remove any Distilled vinegar residue?
Thanks!
 
+1 on the vinegar. Just rinse the vinegar out and let dry. A little residual vinegar is not harmful. If you use a razor blade, make sure it is a brand new blade and change the blade often. Blades are cheap. Any damage to the blade while you are scraping may scratch the glass. You can also use [HASHTAG]#0000[/HASHTAG] steel wool to polish it up. Auto detailers use it to clean auto glass.
 
It is Nuvo 40 tank so probably 2-3 cups of Distilled Vinegar will do?
I will let it run and if it is still showing some stain I will scrub with 0000 steal wool.
Thanks again!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new