Cleaning acrylic sump

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have four BTA clone lines. Three of the clone lines are seen in this picture. The brown goes back to a wild purchased in 1998. The Teal/Pink Tip I got in '05 or '06 and the Rose I got about a decade ago. With splits happening roughly yearly I don't see a need to feed. There's also research showing too much food can can have negative impacts so if you want to reduce your nitrates and possibly improve your animal and systems health an reducing how much you feed your anemones might be one way.

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have four BTA clone lines. Three of the clone lines are seen in this picture. The brown goes back to a wild purchased in 1998. The Teal/Pink Tip I got in '05 or '06 and the Rose I got about a decade ago. With splits happening roughly yearly I don't see a need to feed. There's also research showing too much food can can have negative impacts so if you want to reduce your nitrates and possibly improve your animal and systems health an reducing how much you feed your anemones might be one way.
Well I had more splits than I can count I started with 1 black widow in 2017 and got at least 30 splits or more. So I know that feeding has an impact. I didnt have nitrates before until I started dr osingbit, now i cant seem to get it out

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TWell, seems to me you should try cutting back or stopping dosing. One reason your nitrates may have gone up is your dosing has had a negative impact on the growth of your animals.

(But as an aside fast growth and reproduction may be desirable for appearance and for selling animals but it may not be what's ideal for their long term health or what's best for the system.)

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TWell, seems to me you should try cutting back or stopping dosing. One reason your nitrates may have gone up is your dosing has had a negative impact on the growth of your animals.

(But as an aside fast growth and reproduction may be desirable for appearance and for selling animals but it may not be what's ideal for their long term health or what's best for the system.)
I only dosed a few days to raise nitrates to like 5ppm then stopped 2 years back. But since then I just cannot pull nitrates back from my system

catturio19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are tempting me to proceed with being lazy lol. I have thick crud at the bottom, also like 1/4" crud at the bottom of overflow boxes (I have 2). So you dont want me to clean that stuff? I wanted to clean that as i cannot get my nitrates below 20ppm even with all the filtration i have in the tank.
For instance have a bunch of these things on the wall that I need to clean. Any idea what they are?

20220921_103232.jpg
I’d just clean up detritus on the bottom. I did a deep clean of my acrylic sump and think I killed off some good critters in the process. Now fighting Dino’s. I have no evidence of this besides coral health but I believe I killed off some of the biome.

it was really only the sps that suffered and continue to suffer.

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just clean up detritus on the bottom. I did a deep clean of my acrylic sump and think I killed off some good critters in the process. Now fighting Dino’s. I have no evidence of this besides coral health but I believe I killed off some of the biome.

it was really only the sps that suffered and continue to suffer.
I would clean the crud as it is disgusting really.
Let's just stick to the thread

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back