Cleaning acrylic sump

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I am about to do a major clean up in my acrylic sump (way overdue). Any tips on how to clean the gunk on the acrylic walls of the sump without scratching? I read using vinegar but there is algae and like calcium build up on the acrylic.

Let me know what you think

Thanks a lot

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you're taking the sump off line which I wouldn't do. I also wouldn't do more than just simply wipe the sides off and siphon some of the gunk out. The biofilms and sponges that are grwoing on the sides are important components of a reef ecosystem and I wouldn't remove them myself.

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you're taking the sump off line which I wouldn't do. I also wouldn't do more than just simply wipe the sides off and siphon some of the gunk out. The biofilms and sponges that are grwoing on the sides are important components of a reef ecosystem and I wouldn't remove them myself.
Thanks but not removing the sump at all. Just taking out all the equipment out, siphoning all water in the sump ((with gunk at the bottom) and that is it. But the walls are so dirty with those tiny white dots so wanted to clean those out. All the equipment will be taken out and cleaned as well.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're taking all the water out and thinking of cleaning the sump with fresh water aor vinegar it sounds to me like you're taking it off line. :) FWIW I look at my sumps and see all that stuff and gunk and think how important it is to a reef ecosystem. Even the detritus that collects at the bottom can be helpful to maintaining carbonate chemistry in a reef ecosystem.

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're taking all the water out and thinking of cleaning the sump with fresh water aor vinegar it sounds to me like you're taking it off line. :) FWIW I look at my sumps and see all that stuff and gunk and think how important it is to a reef ecosystem. Even the detritus that collects at the bottom can be helpful to maintaining carbonate chemistry in a reef ecosystem.

You are tempting me to proceed with being lazy lol. I have thick crud at the bottom, also like 1/4" crud at the bottom of overflow boxes (I have 2). So you dont want me to clean that stuff? I wanted to clean that as i cannot get my nitrates below 20ppm even with all the filtration i have in the tank.
For instance have a bunch of these things on the wall that I need to clean. Any idea what they are?

20220921_103232.jpg

Last edited:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are tempting me to proceed with being lazy lol. I have thick crud at the bottom, also like 1/4" crud at the bottom of overflow boxes (I have 2). So you dont want me to clean that stuff? I wanted to clean that as i cannot get my nitrates below 20ppm even with all the filtration i have in the tank.
For instance have a bunch of these things on the wall that I need to clean. Any idea what they are?

20220921_103232.jpg

The white stringy things are small feather dusters that make a calcium tube. The white spiral dots are a filter feeding snails. Both I would consider beneficial and leave alone. As far as the nitrates the primary source is the food you're adding to the system. Any of the methods mentioned above will remove the detritus without having to kill the animals on the sides but I'd leave it myself. I don't know what your water change regimen is but since water changes are the best way to reduce the unfavorable DOCs produced in your system I would focus on increased water changes and experimenting with how much food is being added to reduce nitrates long term.

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white stringy things are small feather dusters that make a calcium tube. The white spiral dots are a filter feeding snails. Both I would consider beneficial and leave alone. As far as the nitrates the primary source is the food you're adding to the system. Any of the methods mentioned above will remove the detritus without having to kill the animals on the sides but I'd leave it myself. I don't know what your water change regimen is but since water changes are the best way to reduce the unfavorable DOCs produced in your system I would focus on increased water changes and experimenting with how much food is being added to reduce nitrates long term.
I do a 25% wc once a month. Filtration I have a skimmer and a ATS scrubber. I feed a lot like 4-5 cubes a day or more. Plus I have black widow anemones that get fed pieces of sea food like once a week (like 5 table shrimps in total lol)

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two Lab Wash Down Bottles, One has the Internal straw cut off for upside down use. Wash the Salt Creep Down. Toothbrush for the Corners, and Edges. Once or Twice a year, I’ll suck the Gunk out. Made a vacuum Isolation Bucket with a couple of fittings. Saltwater is terrible on Shop Vacs, LOL. Couldn’t stand the Bearings Whining. Yes, I put new bearings in, gluten for punishment.

Back