cleaning filter socks

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw them in the washing machine with no soap. When your wife's not home is best. Sometimes I use a little bleach

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a bucket, you can side-step the subterfuge and soak them in a solution of 10% bleach overnight. (Like alliteration? lol)

Then rinse the heck out of them and/or let them air dry until there's no odor of bleach left. A soak in some RO with dechlorinator in it can speed up the last step.

-Matt

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used them for almost a year. I made my own, you can make 50 of them for the price of one at the LFS. But i would toss them in the washing machine along with my towels that are for fish tank use. I would replace them each week. I wash them with normal detergent and put vinegar in the bleach spot on my washing machine. I also set it for a 2nd rinse.

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw them in the washer..
I usually do a "Quick wash cycle" with nothing in there to take away the residue detergent
then, I add some bleach and wash them with the "sterilization" cycle with extra hot water..

I've been doing it for over a years now. never had any problems.

aquabull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't use them. Not only do they steal food from the children (filter-feeders), they also adversely affect skimmer productivity.

STL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw them in the washer on a sanitary cycle - no soap, no bleach. They come out clean without a trace of odor.

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Washer machine in normal cycle, hot water, and a 1/4 cup of bleach, 2nd rinse also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw them in the washing machine with no soap. When your wife's not home is best. Sometimes I use a little bleach

Agreed! My wife hates when I wash the filter socks. :) I've ditched them lately and have been running sock-less because I got tired of cleaning them. I haven't noticed any difference.

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a related note, never use 100 micron filter socks. I thought smaller size = more filtering...I was right unfortunately that means more maintenance for me. The 100 micron sock would last a day before it started to clog up and overflow. 200 micron is pretty much the standard.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a related note, never use 100 micron filter socks. I thought smaller size = more filtering...I was right unfortunately that means more maintenance for me. The 100 micron sock would last a day before it started to clog up and overflow. 200 micron is pretty much the standard.

Some folks have even switched up to 400 micron mesh socks.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! My wife hates when I wash the filter socks. :) I've ditched them lately and have been running sock-less because I got tired of cleaning them. I haven't noticed any difference.

You will start noticing a lot more debris in your sump. Cuz i got tired if washing them too.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazed at how many bristle worms make it into my socks.
Wash in machine with bleach run the cycle again with water only

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach does not actually remove the dirt from the Sock but turns it white so it's not looking as dirty as it really is, Still! I read an article where it was said to use hydrogen Peroxide as it will actually dissolve the dirt trapped in the sock and not just make it white. This makes sense as after time even clean looking socks clog up real fast as they age and have so much trapped dirt they no longer function for any length of time. Just my .02
All in all using socks if you have a great skimmer is optional as they will compete for contaminates and cause you to do more work and spend more money.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did the same. Sometimes I still run one while cleaning the tank though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back