cleaning filter socks

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the eshoppes sock holder for my sump. The socks have a plastic rectangular shape around the top. Will the thrashing in the washer rip the sock from the plastic? The washer doesn't have an agitator in the middle but 2 wheels that spin on the rides which accomplish the same thing.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is an old thread! Yes, eventually washing them will wear them out, just like it does clothes.

I have recently went to a Theiling Rollermat. I haven't been using filter socks and the tank had a lot of debris floating around. The first roll only lasted a couple of weeks. They are supposed to last 4 to 6 months! The replacement rolls are much bigger and don't seem to be the same material so hopefully they will last much longer. My tank was pretty dirty also so I'm sure they will last much better as it cleans up.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course a couple months before I bought the sock holder, I bought about 6 giant rolls of filter pad felt material from foster and smith when they were on sale. So I'm trying out to see if I fold a piece a piece of felt and stick it in the sock to see if it catches most of the dirt so the sock doesn't get as dirty and I toss the felt in the trash .

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guide to filter sock use:

Step 1: remove sock

Step 2: toss in trash, if your single. If your married, then toss in trash when wife is busy.

Step 3: skim wet.

Presto.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back