Cleaning glass

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I constantly have to clean the inside glass from brown/green film, and I've been using a sponge to do that. I know there's many glass cleaning products out there that don't require one to put their hands in the tank. Ie. such as the Flipper.

I have used sponges in the past because I didn't want the gunk to be introduced back into the tank.....this leads me to my question with regards. Using them magnetic cleaners will just do that - isn't it a bad thing to have all that float back into the water, and such that getting caught on the rocks/corals, etc?

I'm assuming the idea is that the gunk will eventually reach the filter system, but not sure how effective that is especially when the gunk gets entangled in rocks, substrates, etc.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I constantly have to clean the inside glass from brown/green film, and I've been using a sponge to do that. I know there's many glass cleaning products out there that don't require one to put their hands in the tank. Ie. such as the Flipper.

I have used sponges in the past because I didn't want the gunk to be introduced back into the tank.....this leads me to my question with regards. Using them magnetic cleaners will just do that - isn't it a bad thing to have all that float back into the water, and such that getting caught on the rocks/corals, etc?

I'm assuming the idea is that the gunk will eventually reach the filter system, but not sure how effective that is especially when the gunk gets entangled in rocks, substrates, etc.
its fine, your CUC will deal with anything on the rocks and substrate.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think the same thing about using the magnet cleaners. You can always combo a scraper with a quick vacuum and just do a mini water change at the same time. I'll typically do a similar process by scraping, sucking up what floats, adding the half liter of fresh saltwater.
The amount that comes off daily SHOULDN'T cause issue otherwise.
If you have significant film buildup that clogs your tank daily, may be a bigger issue of excess nutrients, lighting too high etc.

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use Flippers here on the farm. They work great if you keep on it. For the heavy-duty stuff, you will need to get your hands in the tank with a scrapper though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

magnet cleaners are the fastest and best method and as for the residue going back into tank- it will not offer regrowth and used often by coral and snails for a food source.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Care magnets are what I use. The fish follow it around for a meal. The larger ones include a metal blade for tough stuff. Don't worry about the scraped algae in the water column.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back