Cleaning live rock help!

Klinson8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to take pieces of live rock out in shifts and clean it. Do I use muriatic acid, vinegar, or bleach? The rock will be taken out of the tank but put back in after cleaned. I’ve read about phosphates leaching and I’m just trying to figure out the best way to do this. This is a long-term thing and don’t plan on removing all the rock in the next week or two. Although the tank is a few years old and have a lot of sand don’t want to kill all the rock off at once.Thank you for any and all responses and opinions.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather you took the rock out and swisher it around and swashed it in fresh heated sw and scrub it with a toothbrush or similar but bigger if need be and swish some more and let the detritus fall. Than replace.
D

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to take pieces of live rock out in shifts and clean it. Do I use muriatic acid, vinegar, or bleach? The rock will be taken out of the tank but put back in after cleaned. I’ve read about phosphates leaching and I’m just trying to figure out the best way to do this. This is a long-term thing and don’t plan on removing all the rock in the next week or two. Although the tank is a few years old and have a lot of sand don’t want to kill all the rock off at once.Thank you for any and all responses and opinions.
If you are cleaning it because there is algae on it then bleaching / acid bath will just make it more susceptible to algae regrowth because you are killing the organisms already on the rock that are already fighting the algae. The best way to handle that is to remove the rock and brush it very good with a hard bristled brush then rinse and put back in the tank. Keep as many good things alive as possible.

If you are bleaching/acid bath because you are worried about phosphate leaching then I would setup a separate bucket/tub with saltwater where you can treat the rock with seaklear and hopefully not kill the beneficial bacterial populations.

OP
OP
K

Klinson8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why clean it in the first place?
Vermetid snails and asterina have overrun certain rocks. It’s weird but only certain rocks have become covered. Bumble bees, manual remove and glue can’t keep up.

OP
OP
K

Klinson8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are cleaning it because there is algae on it then bleaching / acid bath will just make it more susceptible to algae regrowth because you are killing the organisms already on the rock that are already fighting the algae. The best way to handle that is to remove the rock and brush it very good with a hard bristled brush then rinse and put back in the tank. Keep as many good things alive as possible.

If you are bleaching/acid bath because you are worried about phosphate leaching then I would setup a separate bucket/tub with saltwater where you can treat the rock with seaklear and hopefully not kill the beneficial bacterial populations.
This is similar to other responses I’ve read. Killing both good and bad but if bad outweigh good then not as much of a risk wiping out good.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid snails and asterina have overrun certain rocks. It’s weird but only certain rocks have become covered. Bumble bees, manual remove and glue can’t keep up.

they will just come back since you are not resetting the whole tank at once

OP
OP
K

Klinson8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they will just come back since you are not resetting the whole tank at once
I know but I’m talking hundreds on some rocks and a handful on others. Picking and choosing my battles to get it manageable. I realize basically never going away unless I restart

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know but I’m talking hundreds on some rocks and a handful on others. Picking and choosing my battles to get it manageable. I realize basically never going away unless I restart
In that case might as well. The bacteria will repopulate fairly quickly.

i recently switched tanks and changed up the scape which ended up in me removing 20-30% of the live rock on day 1 with no I’ll effects. Repeated that again 6 weeks later and still no issues. Basically got rid of 50% of my old live rock in the last couple months and replaced with a new dead custom rock scape.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use bleach.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back