Cleaning Mildew/Mold Near Tank

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2018
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
1,074
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welp i have a bit of an issue. New home owner here in upstate NY. I failed to get a dehumidifier going till this week in my basement where my tank is and now i have a dusting of what appears to be mildew on some of my floor joists. Humidity is now under control but i want to clean the wood down there. Anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking spot cleaning with straight vinegar and a rag?
 
The only thing I have seen that kills mildew and removes the stains is chlorine bleach. I am not sure what that would do to your wood finish but I know it destroys paint. Have you searched amazon for a mildew remover for wood?

Ok I just did and a product called RMR-86 seems to be what your looking for.
 
Wrap the tank well with plastic to protect finish and prevent fumes from entering tank
 
I think im going to try straight vinegar first. There is not alot of mildew and i might as well try something non toxic first. Online it says spray and let sit for 60 minutes. Im going to try wiping it on with a sponge instead i think...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new