Cleaning my filter media

Books

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is, what's best to clean my filter media? Do I use tap water, RO or saltwater what is best or does it even matter? ( aquatop CF canister filter with Uv) Thanks

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter itself...just clean it with tap water and dry with a paper towel.

Inside your filter: If you have live rock pieces, or have bio filtration media like Matrix bio media, Marinepure Biomedia bag or cubes...rinse it in the saltwater that you have removed from tank durning your water change. You don't want to clean these kind of items in tap water or RODI.

laurenH85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter itself...just clean it with tap water and dry with a paper towel.

Inside your filter: If you have live rock pieces, or have bio filtration media like Matrix bio media, Marinepure Biomedia bag or cubes...rinse it in the saltwater that you have removed from tank durning your water change. You don't want to clean these kind of items in tap water or RODI.
I accidentally rinsed all my bio media in RO water, rather than salt water. The balls were only in the water for a few minutes. Do you think it will have killed all the good bacteria? I’m worried my ammonia will now spike and my fish will die.
There is live rock in the tank and sand. I’m hoping the bacteria there will be enough.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back