Cleaning my tank for the first time in one year

alicel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with so much going on I have neglected my tank for the last year. I am going to clean my tank today. My fish are thankfully still happy and healthy but the algae is insane. Any recommendations or warning before I dive in to a cleaning/manual algae removal/1/3 water change??

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Smaller changes would be better than a bigger change all at once...that includes removing the algae.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pure roadmap to all you want, each tank done in one day

read and absorb the jobs for the win

every tank: done the same way though they all presented with different cleaning challenges and algae issues, all done the exact same way

notice how those tanks aren’t mine: that’s a system that works for other peoples tanks consistently

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what size tank you have, how bad it is, or what livestock. But years ago after a tank disaster I walked away from my tank for almost a year. I shut off the lights and ancillary equipment and let just the return pump and heater run. There were still some fish in the tank, but I just ignored everything. The tank got morning sun and it wasn't long before you couldn't see in the tank.

After 9-10 months I got diagnosed with Kidney Cancer (Fully recovered and clean now 13 years later). I didn't want to deal with recooperating without my tank.

So I turned on the lights and here was a tank (400g) packed with rock just covered with a shag algae. There was over 1000lbs of rock in the tank, and rock mounted on the back wall. Removing it to clean wasn't an option. So I drained the tank to a few inches of water, enough for the fish to swim in. And then got out the pressure washer and blew off all the rocks. And siphoned and netted out all the crap, filled the tank with fresh salt water, added some carbon, and a few days later started packing the tank with life - And the tank took off and thrived.

Dave B

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back