Cleaning old rock for cycled tank

jtgordon20

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Messages
299
Reaction score
5
Location
Henderson, Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched around but it seems like others are cleaning their rock only to put in a tank that's cycling still
I have some old rock in a bucket of saltwater that has had no circulation or heat. I'd like to clean the rock so that I can glue them together and place in my tank that's cycled and running already.
Would I do so with rinsing the rock and soaking in vinegar? What other ways are there?

Thank you!
 
I would change the water in the bucket with some water from ur next water change, put a heater in with a small pump n let in sit like that for around a month. Then it should b ready for ur display. Also depends on how much ur talking about. If its only a few pounds ur adding to a 200 gallon tank with 300 lbs of rock in it already i wouldnt worry about it
 
I'd like to do this quick with out needing to buy more equipment.
Its just a 5 gallon bucket of rock
I'd like to wipe the life out of the rock as if it was dry rock.
 
Bleach it in a solution of 4:1 water:bleach, for a day. Rinse thoroughly, etch it with a solution of 1:1 vinegar:water for another day. Hose it off. Place it in a bucket of freshly made SW and let it cure, check for PO4. Do WC if needed.
 
Bleach it in a solution of 4:1 water:bleach, for a day. Rinse thoroughly, etch it with a solution of 1:1 vinegar:water for another day. Hose it off. Place it in a bucket of freshly made SW and let it cure, check for PO4. Do WC if needed.

I do something similar, except I soak the rock in sodium thiosulfate instead of vinegar.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new