Cleaning overflow teeth

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On two of my Waterbox aquariums I'm now starting to grow some algae. One has coralline algae and the other one has more of a softer green algae.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean these, and since they can't be removed from the tank I can't really soak it.

I've tried denture brushes, razors, soft bottlebrush, so far nothing really cleans it really well. What do you use to clean yours?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a scraper for the outside of the overflow and a toothpick for between the slits.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that it does absolutely nothing to coralline. Also - it does not do a good job with the inside part of the cut.
That's where the elbow grease comes into play

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On two of my Waterbox aquariums I'm now starting to grow some algae. One has coralline algae and the other one has more of a softer green algae.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean these, and since they can't be removed from the tank I can't really soak it.

I've tried denture brushes, razors, soft bottlebrush, so far nothing really cleans it really well. What do you use to clean yours?
Did you try h2o2 on the algae?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I take a credit card and cut it in half length-wise; that will give a sharper edge. Then, use that to 'floss' in between the 'teeth' of the weir. I've been doing that for years and it works great for me.

Dwarf Cerith Snails...The other awesome automatic cleaner! They are always in between the 'teeth' of the weir eating away at algae (not coralline, of course).

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea of cutting the credit card in half - makes sense to me. And hear you on elbow grease :)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get these from Amazon,

Straw Cleaner Brushes...

Or check out your local Harbor Freight for similar brushes. Check either where they have the paint spray guns, or where they have the larger brushes.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use plastic knife in the teeth and scrape top to bottom first then outside of teeth and last the inside-good luck.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Gripes Brush Set, from Bed - Bath. Got a Round Multiple Size brush set with Stainless wire, on Amazon. Also I purchased some Long Stainless Steel Exacto Blades.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back