Cleaning sump

Michael Curtis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the best way to clean a sump out?

At the moment I have aiptasia in the sump and only the refugem return section of the sump plus its got really filthy across the entire sump plus its a chance to get all the pipework cleaned at the same time.

There's nothing other than some rock and sand in the center section but no algae so just worried more about the point of sale of a mini cycle even thought I know the main fltration is in the tank.

The only thing is I'm not sure on the best way to do it and what to use.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the live stuff out and put it into a bucket. Take out any sensitive equipment and clean it with a rag or just some water. Use a shop vac to get all of the other debris and stuff out. Fill the sump with fresh tap water and put a safe, but strong, amount of muriatic acid in there. Run a pump to move the water around - run in all chambers. Drain it. Rinse it once. Wipe it dry and it will be as good as new. You can put saltwater, the rocks and everything else back in.

The sand is going to be tough. I would save a few cups, dump out the rest and replace it with new and then add those few cups back in to quickly seed stuff.

OP
OP
Michael Curtis

Michael Curtis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I don't think there's much live stuff in there except for aiptasia lol

Its not a lot but bet there's more hiding

If I just remove the sand and rock would it course major issues with no intent on adding it back in so as to remove the risk of getting it back totally?

Should add i run a small bio reactor in with the skimmer filled with seachem matrix and ceramic bio balls as well.

Was going to latter when I find a good cheep light setup the refugem properly with algae but not at the sec.

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the best way to clean a sump out?

At the moment I have aiptasia in the sump and only the refugem return section of the sump plus its got really filthy across the entire sump plus its a chance to get all the pipework cleaned at the same time.

There's nothing other than some rock and sand in the center section but no algae so just worried more about the point of sale of a mini cycle even thought I know the main fltration is in the tank.

The only thing is I'm not sure on the best way to do it and what to use.

First things first go to wall mart buy a half way decent TV stand...empty that tank and put it on top (that stand thing you got is dangerous). Then after that clean the sump out an get some cheto from a clean source. once you get aiptasia in your sump you should assume the spores are in everything. This means clean your plumbing and everything. Since there isn't much in the tank its a good time to do a reboot. You could put any fish in a small tank for the time being.

OP
OP
Michael Curtis

Michael Curtis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first go to wall mart buy a half way decent TV stand...empty that tank and put it on top (that stand thing you got is dangerous). Then after that clean the sump out an get some cheto from a clean source. once you get aiptasia in your sump you should assume the spores are in everything. This means clean your plumbing and everything. Since there isn't much in the tank its a good time to do a reboot. You could put any fish in a small tank for the time being.

Thanks fot the reply

As for stand not sure what your getting at really as its a EA 1200S tank and the stand is built for the tank and sump

Plus would never risk 300kg+ on a TV stand also

Would love to goto Walmart but there not over hear in the UK

There are a few aiptasia in the main display but there not spreading thank god but suspect there are more hiding so there being delt with natural predators from next weekend due to some in really hard to get to places for a effective chemical option

The sump will be a total strip down clean all pumps, skimmer, reactor, heater ect then full clean of the sump

all the pipeing is going to be replaced so as to remove the chance of aptasia being present in any pipework

Complete renew bio media in the sump and point of sale relay to refugem > equipment > returns just need to add a baffle to the first section to do it simple enough to do

See what your getting at with the strip but tring to avoid it if I can so as not to course the fish ect any undue stress at this point.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back