75 Gallon FOWLER

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a older marineland 75 gallon with a tempered glass bottom.

Live Rock and dead rock from LFS
Natural Reef Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand

Sump: 30 gallon acrylic (three chamber)

Chamber 1: bio media, skimmer, UV filter pump
Chamber 2: fluidized K3 MEDIA using air stones
Chamber 3: Return pump and copepod basket (this basket is setup as it own chamber that allows the pods to grow an has a line that allows them to enter the return water after the pump)

Return pump: YCTECH 24V Aquarium DC Return Water Pump Flow Pump 3170 GPH with Controller Wave Function
Return Nozzles 2:1/2" Loc-Line Random Flow Generators

Skimmer: Bubble Magnus Curve 5
UV filter: 15 Watt Advantage 2000+ UV Sterilizer with Hanger Spout
Uv pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5 Pump (185 GPH)

Circulation Pumps:
1: Jebao/Jecod SCP-120 Cross Flow Pump Wavemaker w Controller Updated CP-40 (PET-SCP-120) (4300 to 4600 GPH)
2: Skimz SS18.0 Supersilent DC Wavemaker (4755 GPH)
1: Hydor Smart Wave Circulation Pump Controller
1: Hydor 60701151 Koralia 3G Third Generation Circulation Pump, 2450Gph/8.5watt

Biological Filtration system:
K3 MEDIA
Pawfly 7 W 254 GPH Commercial Air Pump 4 Outlets Manifold Quiet Oxygen Aerator Pump for Aquarium Pond
AQUANEAT Aquarium Air Pump up to 300Gal w/Gang Valves & Tubing Oxygen Aerator Ultra Quiet Fish Tank Air Pump Two Outlets

CerMedia MarinePure Block Bio-Filter Media for Marine and Freshwater Aquariums, 8 by 8 by 4-Inch

Lighting:
Aquatic Life 48" Hybrid T5HO 4x54W Fixture
2: ATI 54W 48” T5 Blue Plus
2: ATI 54W 48” T5 Aquablue Special

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post more on this build...I am aiming to see how will this filtration system works in combination with more modern equipment. I am not aiming for ultra low numbers but am looking to allow the system to manage its main numbers without having to dose.

The system is set with a high bio load in mind because this is a predator system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the wire loom ready to do some cable management
20200618_191616.jpg
20200618_191632.jpg

20200618_191646.jpg 20200618_191637.jpg

OP
OP
F

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Stock

1 x Large Domino Damsel
8 x Four Stripe Damsels
4 x Sargent Major Damsels
3 x Velvet Damsels
1 x Dragon Wrasse
1 x Undulated Trigger
1 x Spotbreast Angel
1 x Lyretail Wrasse
2 x Gold Stripe maroon Clown Fish
1 x Saddle Valentini Puffer
1 x Chain Moray
1 x Scopas Tang
1 x Blue Hippo Tang
1 x Humu Trigger
3 x Blue and Yellow Damsels
1 x Pink Spot Gobby
1 x Green Spot Puffer

All of these guys are babies right now...except the Large Domino Damsel. I am planning a tank upgrade next year after I have started my 150 gallon reef tank. I already have tank but am going to refurbish stand and reseal the tank before starting it. This is my summer project unit PS5 comes out. Stocking is complete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
figured I would share what my tank looks like when it gets cleaned. Because of my aqua scape design there are plenty of caves scattered throughout the tank. This is good for flow and aggression. This combined with a lot of water flow means the medium grade substrate gets moved around throughout the week. This requires me to redistribute the material around the tank. I noticed when I did this the substrate would release the extra nutrients into the water (not much but enough to create an haze in the water). Since I have to do this every week, I clean out the cave and cracks by hand or with a turkey baster. I then turn all the expose substrate over an spread it around...this turns the substrate and prevents the build up of muck in the substrate. I put a filtration sponge in the baffle between my fluidized media and my return pump to catch anything that makes it to that point. the whole process takes about and hour for the water to return to crystal clear.

Right after
Tank Right After.jpg

5 Minutes after
tank 5min.jpg

15 Minutes after
tank 15min.jpg

30 Minutes after
tank 30min.jpg

1 Hour After
Tank 1hr.jpg

You can see the water is clear and substrate is crystal clear from top to bottom. I have done this every week since started my water changes for this tank. That is why this method works for me... nothing has built up in my substrate, so turning it all at once isn't an issue. I pull the sponge filter and run water through it put it in the container next to the tank for reuse.

I know this might be different why but I have more or less used this method since I started with freshwater aquariums and into saltwater systems. I know me... syphoning off the substrate is not going to happen all the time. I know I have to redistribute the substrate anyway so it makes since to turn it all and let the filtration system take it up. I been doing it from a month after my tank started. When I do water changes (20%) I precede that with a turning of the substrate prior to the water change. tank 15min.jpg tank 30min.jpg Tank 1hr.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back