Cleaning your pumps

50/50 vinegar/water solution soaked 24 hours usually works for most items.

I agree 100%
I have 2 mp 40s soaking in vinegar and water right now :)
It work for all equipment like return pumps and reactors!
It's safe and cheap! A double win in my book!
 
I also have used vinegar/water mix in the past. Although I'm not completely sure it's the best or safest option, I haven't noticed an issue yet. Curious to hear what ecotech has to say.
 
I use a vinegar and water mix also and never had any issues.
 
Don’t know if it’s true but I have read vinegar and MP40’s don’t mix.. something about the plastic or adhesives they use in the manufacturering process
 
I did not do this on ecotech pumps, but my normal return pump rubbers did become brittle with a 24hrs soak. Maybe its just because they were old.
 
I've had MP10's 40's and 60's. I used 50/50 but simply took the wet sides apart and cleaned them with a toothbrush and under the magnet cleaned with Q-Tips. Rinsed with RODI fresh and put back in the tank. I had some MP's for up to 10 years and didn't have issues at all.

I do the same with return pumps and skimmer pumps.
 
What does echotech recommend? That's what I would like to find out. I know one of my old Jeabo rw8's died after an overnight vinegar dip so I dont want to do that to my Vortechs or Vectra
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new