Clear Water CW-100 Algae Scrubber

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefers,
For those of you that own Rea Sea Tanks and a Clear Water Algae Scrubber, how do you actually place the scrubber in the sump?
I have a Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 500 Model Tank and would like to see how someone has theirs setup in that Sump.

Thank you in advance.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you'll need some sort of shelf to mount it on. They show it being placed on a glass shelf in a sump (so I assume it's not too terribly heavy). I have a Red Sea, and I spent some time (unsuccessfully) trying to figure out where I would place it.

Read some of the comments on this video (the whole "having to remove the entire thing for maintenance" is something to consider):

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you'll need some sort of shelf to mount it on. They show it being placed on a glass shelf in a sump (so I assume it's not too terribly heavy). I have a Red Sea, and I spent some time (unsuccessfully) trying to figure out where I would place it.

Read some of the comments on this video (the whole "having to remove the entire thing for maintenance" is something to consider):

Thank you. My biggest thing is making sure that it is easily accessible for cleaning.

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't figure out how much height you need to remove the algae tray, but I'm guessing a good 8-10".
So did you ever get yours installed? or you didn't bother installing it anymore?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did you ever get yours installed? or you didn't bother installing it anymore?
I'm still debating whether it's worth replacing my protein skimmer for an algae scubber (protein skimmer is a lot easier to fit and maintenance is quite a bit less). I've just been casually looking every now and then.

I try to make everything function on my tank as straightforward as I can, so that in my absence it's not a huge undertaking for maintenance. Not sure if an algae scrubber meets that criteria.

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still debating whether it's worth replacing my protein skimmer for an algae scubber (protein skimmer is a lot easier to fit and maintenance is quite a bit less). I've just been casually looking every now and then.

I try to make everything function on my tank as straightforward as I can, so that in my absence it's not a huge undertaking for maintenance. Not sure if an algae scrubber meets that criteria.
I'm under the impression that both can be ran on the same system. Is that not the case?

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres how i did mine.................
UKJ5Jyv.jpg

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres how i did mine.................
UKJ5Jyv.jpg
Nice setup. I wish I had space like that. I got some Plexi glass and I'm going to try and install it above my filter socks in my Red Sea Sump. I'll post some pics afterwards. Do you mind showing your display?

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I wish I had space like that. I got some Plexi glass and I'm going to try and install it above my filter socks in my Red Sea Sump. I'll post some pics afterwards. Do you mind showing your display?
Here ya go. Tank is only about a year old in these pics
kTMWP92.jpg

rcXzU15.jpg

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got it plumbed and installed. DIY a platform with Acrylic and a PVC pipe glued to one corner for support. I followed the Durso Plumbing option for the drains but i'm still having that gurgling noise.

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0180.jpeg
    IMG_0180.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my gurgling noise issues. I contacted CWS support and they advised me to try adding a Gate valve to the output. This really helped and the system is running much quieter now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back