Clearview Lid question

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be ordering clearview lids for my RS Reefer 3xl900. Currently have the diy mesh and hate them! The standard 3xl900 comes in 3 pieces. My question is, will the frame of these lids block light if the frame falls under a light. Hubby thinks we need 4 pieces of lids so that the frames fall between the lights. But with the light spread, does this really matter? With 4 pieces, there will be more "double" frame sections (frame for each side of each section next to each other) across the tank which seems would cut more light than 3 sections across top.

any feedback appreciated before I order. I'll be ordering the pisces exo which has the clear inserts. I'm thinking for the winter those would help keep evaporation and humidity down. Prob. use just at night to also keep heat in.

20211121_234305.jpg 20211203_210239.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and really like it. They do not block light and will custom shape to your spec needs.

Attachments

• 20211220_120105.jpg
    20211220_120105.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the idea behind the clearview is it's a clear view? IE the frame rails are clear to allow light through.
Yes, but hubby is convinced that it will block light more than the mesh so I'm getting opinions lol's. He thinks there should be no frame directly beneath the lights but with the light spread, and it being clear, I don't think it will impact light for the corals.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but hubby is convinced that it will block light more than the mesh so I'm getting opinions lol's. He thinks there should be no frame directly beneath the lights but with the light spread, and it being clear, I don't think it will impact light for the corals.
Perhaps Clearview lids has checked par numbers

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if they use a full acrylic piece when they break it into sections. I wish mine was in two sections as it would make getting in the tank easier.
You should email them and maybe they can give you a better detail on what it’ll look like.

either way I don’t think any light will be effected to any noticeable range with clear acrylic

John734

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have one on my tank, only had to adjust the par roughly 5%, but I did not have a lid on it previously.
If you have a mesh lid on it now, I wouldn’t imagine it would have any major change in your par reading.
Great lids in my opinion.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if they use a full acrylic piece when they break it into sections. I wish mine was in two sections as it would make getting in the tank easier.
You should email them and maybe they can give you a better detail on what it’ll look like.

either way I don’t think any light will be effected to any noticeable range with clear acrylic
standard for my tank is 3 pieces, which if it works out right, means I can take the mid section out to check the weir as I'm still doing a lot of valve adjusting. Such a pain with 2 pieces to lift up the overflow cover.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have the Ecotech arms. Did they cut out the exact shape of the arm and screw thread? I got one years ago and they did but I’m not seeing picture with it lately and cannot tell from your pictures.

I have one and really like it. They do not block light and will custom shape to your spec needs.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have the Ecotech arms. Did they cut out the exact shape of the arm and screw thread? I got one years ago and they did but I’m not seeing picture with it lately and cannot tell from your pictures.
Yes, they ask specifically which lights and mounts you have and distance from overflow so when I got the lid there was maybe 1/4 inch clearance around the mounts. They did a nice job.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back