Clearwater Scrubbers - Very Disappointed Overall

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while ago, I purchased a Clearwater CW-50 scrubber for my tank. The scrubber has never really worked well, and has been having overflow/leaking fits for the past few months. I normally would call this a bad buy and move on with my life, but this one was a bit more irksome than usual.

The first problem was I had trouble ever getting the flow above 100 GPH. Did some playing around with the drain tube and was finally able to just barely get 110 GPH or so, but that's the absolute max. Using theoretical calculations, 200 GPH is ideal for a screen this size (more on drain speed in a minute). But, the main drain on this thing is a 1/2" bulkhead. Depending on the figure you trust, at most you're going to get out of a 1/2" drain under gravity pressure is 200 GPH. When this is the ideal flowrate for a screen this size, using a 1/2" drain was probably not the best choice in terms of design.

Probably the bigger issue is this scrubber would overflow usually about two times a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. It doesn't leak through the emergency drain and it doesn't physically overflow. I can only guess that the spray bar gets blocked up with algae and starts shooting water out the ends because it has nowhere else to go. Because this scrubber is mounted next to my tank, and because these were big leaks, usually about a gallon at a time leaked out. I thought I could fix the problem by cleaning it more, so I started brushing the spray bar once a day. No luck. I started taking it apart and cleaning it every three days after the last overflow, but still, no success. It overflowed again today, spilling about a gallon of water onto my floor in the course of about an hour. I wrote an email to Clearwater (mostly because there is no phone or chat available, and they don't answer posts on the forums here) to ask if there's anything I could do to make this thing work. A guy from Clearwater called me and was nice enough, but he didn't have any answers. He said that it never happened before and that he doesn't know why this might be happening. He doesn't know where the water could be coming from and suggested putting some zip-ties on the spray bar. After talking a bit, he blamed the problem on my flow. I told him that I was only able to push about 100 GPH through the thing and he said this is the cause of the algae buildup that causes the overflow. He said that a 1/2" drain should handle 400GPH of flow, no problem (his exact words) and that I need to hard plumb it to get more flow through it. I'm sorry, but there's no way a 1/2" drain will allow 400 GPH of flow under gravity. I'd be really surprised to hear if anyone actually has got this much gravity-fed flow through a 1/2" pipe, especially when you include the losses from fittings and elbows, which must be used because the drain comes out the side of the scrubber. While I appreciate that their support took the time, I can't be experimenting with something that without warning can dump a gallon of water on my floor in short order.

What really bothered me most is that Clearwater scrubbers are sold by Bulk Reef Supply and they're a sponsor on R2R. I admit that I should have done more research before my purchase, and that's my bad. But I sort of assumed that the product would at least be good if BRS stocked them and they sponsored here. Moreover, I assumed that I would be able to get support in the sponsor forum here from Clearwater. The one thread I posted forever ago was never once answered by the vendor. So keep that in mind if you think getting support from Clearwater will be easier because they're a sponsor here.

Maybe this is all my fault. Maybe if I would have hard plumbed it I would have got 400 GPH of flow, "no problem" through it. Maybe with more flow, the bar wouldn't have stopped up and water wouldn't have shot out the ends. Maybe if I would have put it over my sump like most people do, I wouldn't have had such overflows. Having said that, maybe if all these things are important, Clearwater should include something in the box to tell you these things are important. Something besides a link to some setup videos that have since been taken off Youtube. Either way, the Clearwater scrubber was a swing and a miss for me. It's possible their other products are okay, but I would strongly advise against buying the CW-50 version of their scrubber.

Last edited:

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I had looked at these and when I was ready to add one it would have been one of the larger models. I'll be sure and do some more looking before I pick. I haven't even decided for sure that I want one.

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while ago, I purchased a Clearwater CW-50 scrubber for my tank. The scrubber has never really worked well, and has been having overflow/leaking fits for the past few months. I normally would call this a bad buy and move on with my life, but this one was a bit more irksome than usual.

The first problem was I had trouble ever getting the flow above 100 GPH. Did some playing around with the drain tube and was finally able to just barely get 110 GPH or so, but that's the absolute max. Using theoretical calculations, 200 GPH is ideal for a screen this size (more on drain speed in a minute). But, the main drain on this thing is a 1/2" bulkhead. Depending on the figure you trust, at most you're going to get out of a 1/2" drain under gravity pressure is 200 GPH. When this is the ideal flowrate for a screen this size, using a 1/2" drain was probably not the best choice in terms of design.

Probably the bigger issue is this scrubber would overflow usually about two times a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. It doesn't leak through the emergency drain and it doesn't physically overflow. I can only guess that the spray bar gets blocked up with algae and starts shooting water out the ends because it has nowhere else to go. And these were big leaks, usually about a gallon at a time. I thought I could fix the problem by cleaning it more, so I started brushing the spray bar once a day. No luck. I started taking it apart and cleaning it every three days after the last overflow, but still, no success. It overflowed again today, spilling about a gallon of water onto my floor in the course of about an hour. I wrote an email to Clearwater (mostly because there is no phone or chat available, and they don't answer posts on the forums here) to ask if there's anything I could do to make this thing work. A guy from Clearwater called me and was nice enough, but he didn't have any answers. He said that it never happened before and that he doesn't know why this might be happening. He doesn't know where the water could be coming from and suggested putting some zip-ties on the spray bar. After talking a bit, he blamed the problem on my flow. I told him that I was only able to push about 100 GPH through the thing and he said this is the cause of the algae buildup that causes the overflow. He said that a 1/2" drain should handle 400GPH of flow, no problem (his exact words) and that I need to hard plumb it to get more flow through it. I'm sorry, but there's no way a 1/2" drain will allow 400 GPH of flow under gravity. I'd be really surprised to hear if anyone actually has got this much gravity-fed flow through a 1/2" pipe, especially when you include the losses from fittings and elbows, which must be used because the drain comes out the side of the scrubber. While I appreciate that their support took the time, I can't be experimenting with something that without warning can dump a gallon of water on my floor in short order.

What really bothered me most is that Clearwater scrubbers are sold by Bulk Reef Supply and they're a sponsor on R2R. I admit that I should have done more research before my purchase, and that's my bad. But I sort of assumed that the product would at least be good if BRS stocked them and they sponsored here. Moreover, I assumed that I would be able to get support in the sponsor forum here from Clearwater. The one thread I posted forever ago was never once answered by the vendor. So keep that in mind if you think getting support from Clearwater will be easier because they're a sponsor here.

Maybe this is all my fault. Maybe if I would have hard plumbed it I would have got 400 GPH of flow, "no problem" through it. Maybe with more flow, the bar wouldn't have stopped up and water wouldn't have shot out the ends. Maybe if I would have put it over my sump like most people do, I wouldn't have had such overflows. Having said that, maybe if all these things are important, Clearwater should include something in the box to tell you these things are important. Something besides a link to some setup videos that have since been taken off Youtube. Either way, the Clearwater scrubber was a swing and a miss for me. It's possible their other products are okay, but I would strongly advise against buying the CW-50 version of their scrubber.

Patrick,

I tried to figure out what is causing that issue but all you could tell me is that it is leaking water. We go above and beyond to make sure every customer is satisfied with their purchase. Just like I told you today, try a couple things and if those did not work, we would be happy to send out a new unit to you but without knowing what is causing issue, it could happen again. What you are failing to leave out of your negative review is that you have it mounted outside of the sump and stand. Also you have flex pipe after the drain. None of that is recommended in the instructional video. Also we cannot check every forum every day to see if something has been posted. That’s why pm’s and emails work best. While we are sorry for your experience with our product, I believe we provided more than exceptional service and were willing to send another unit out, free of charge, if those things didn’t fix your issues. By not having the correct flow rate or drain setup, these are issues that can happen. But giving us a negative review after trying to fix your issue rather than following those instructions isn’t very fair.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patrick,

I tried to figure out what is causing that issue but all you could tell me is that it is leaking water. We go above and beyond to make sure every customer is satisfied with their purchase. Just like I told you today, try a couple things and if those did not work, we would be happy to send out a new unit to you but without knowing what is causing issue, it could happen again. What you are failing to leave out of your negative review is that you have it mounted outside of the sump and stand. Also you have flex pipe after the drain. None of that is recommended in the instructional video. Also we cannot check every forum every day to see if something has been posted. That’s why pm’s and emails work best. While we are sorry for your experience with our product, I believe we provided more than exceptional service and were willing to send another unit out, free of charge, if those things didn’t fix your issues. By not having the correct flow rate or drain setup, these are issues that can happen. But giving us a negative review after trying to fix your issue rather than following those instructions isn’t very fair.
Agreed. Good to hear the other side.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patrick,

I was going to follow those instructions, but there's no way I can get more flow through this thing. I was in the process of hard-plumbing the scrubber yesterday after we spoke. I realized that I needed to cut through my stand to make the plumbing work. Before doing that I decided I should test the flow rate to see if it's really possible to get the flow rate through this unit that you're claiming, since I seriously doubted a half inch PVC drain will handle that much flow.

I used my bathtub faucet and got a flow rate of about 2 GPM going. I tested this by filling a 5 gallon bucket, which took about 2 minutes and 39 seconds. This works out to be about 120 GPH. I then put the scrubber underneath the faucet to emulate 120 GPH of flow. The primary drain was overwhelmed in a matter of about 30 seconds, and water started flowing out of the backup drain. And that's with nothing hooked onto the drain except the 1/2" PVC which was plumbed into the bulkhead. After adding elbows and additional 1/2" plumbing, there's no way that the flow rate is going to anywhere but down.

On the subject of what is and what is not recommended in your install video, nothing is explicitly recommended. The only instructions are how to plumb it. The video doesn't say you must hard plumb. The video doesn't say you must mount the scrubber over the sump. All the video does is show you how to unbox it and install the PVC. Plus, though you may not have total control over what Bulk Reef Supply says in their product listings, they say that these units are "external" scrubbers. In the directions, the BRS page seems to suggest that the scrubber can be installed anywhere. The BRS page also says you may use soft plumbing or hard plumbing on the inlet, outlet, and emergency drain. If these points are not correct, you really should get in touch with BRS and have them change the product listing. If these units cannot be mounted anywhere except over a sump, your videos or product listings should really say that. The same is true if the unit must be hard plumbed.

Yesterday, your solution on the phone was more flow. The way this thing is configured, that's impossible. Even having no fittings on the output at all except two inches of 1/2" PVC, it looks like about 100-110 GPH is the max I'm going to get through this scrubber. I was even going to drill through my stand so I could switch to hard PVC on the drains. But hard plumbing is not going to allow me to get more flow through this thing.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I did not intentionally leave out of my original post that it was mounted externally, and have since updated it to reflect that. I'm not trying to get anything from you. I don't want a new scrubber and probably wouldn't use it even if you sent it. I want this thing to work, but I can't keep flooding the floor in my second-floor apartment. If you have any more solutions, I'd love to hear them.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would increasing (if possible) the main outflow line to 3/4 or 1" fix the problem? I don't have the unit but if the hole size can be increased this might help?

Just trying to offer possible solutions.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Good to hear the other side.

I had an insane water leak from my clear scrubber. My issue was cause by algae growing up the grille, which eventually completely prevented water from uniformly cascading down the entire sheet. Water was only exiting from the second half of the apparatus, which created a pretty strong flow. Ultimately, the tightly secured cable tie (used to attach the grille to the water feed pipe) was the culprit for the leak. It was deflecting water upwards in a small squirt gun-like stream which took out my living room flooring!

If I had any design update suggestions, I'd encourage you to design the grill so that algae can't grow anywhere near the water feed slit.

Last edited:

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never owned a scrubber of any make or model from any manufacture. From what I have read and the reviews on these guys and others like Turbo Scrubbers I have overall read pretty positive reviews.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Probably the bigger issue is this scrubber would overflow usually about two times a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. It doesn't leak through the emergency drain and it doesn't physically overflow. I can only guess that the spray bar gets blocked up with algae and starts shooting water out the ends because it has nowhere else to go. Because this scrubber is mounted next to my tank, and because these were big leaks, usually about a gallon at a time leaked out. I thought I could fix the problem by cleaning it more, so I started brushing the spray bar once a day. No luck. I started taking it apart and cleaning it every three days after the last overflow, but still, no success. It overflowed again today, spilling about a gallon of water onto my floor in the course of about an hour. I wrote an email to Clearwater (mostly because there is no phone or chat available, and they don't answer posts on the forums here) to ask if there's anything I could do to make this thing work. A guy from Clearwater called me and was nice enough, but he didn't have any answers. He said that it never happened before and that he doesn't know why this might be happening. He doesn't know where the water could be coming from and suggested putting some zip-ties on the spray bar. After talking a bit, he blamed the problem on my flow. I told him that I was only able to push about 100 GPH through the thing and he said this is the cause of the algae buildup that causes the overflow. He said that a 1/2" drain should handle 400GPH of flow, no problem (his exact words) and that I need to hard plumb it to get more flow through it. I'm sorry, but there's no way a 1/2" drain will allow 400 GPH of flow under gravity. I'd be really surprised to hear if anyone actually has got this much gravity-fed flow through a 1/2" pipe, especially when you include the losses from fittings and elbows, which must be used because the drain comes out the side of the scrubber. While I appreciate that their support took the time, I can't be experimenting with something that without warning can dump a gallon of water on my floor in short order.

I had an issue with the spray bar getting clogged with algae and spraying a small stream of water against the sump wall, which murdered my living room floor. It's tough to anticipate this issue as it's difficult to see where water is/isn't flowing once the grill is covered with algae.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to follow those instructions, but there's no way I can get more flow through this thing. I was in the process of hard-plumbing the scrubber yesterday after we spoke. I realized that I needed to cut through my stand to make the plumbing work. Before doing that I decided I should test the flow rate to see if it's really possible to get the flow rate through this unit that you're claiming, since I seriously doubted a half inch PVC drain will handle that much flow.

I used my bathtub faucet and got a flow rate of about 2 GPM going. I tested this by filling a 5 gallon bucket, which took about 2 minutes and 39 seconds. This works out to be about 120 GPH. I then put the scrubber underneath the faucet to emulate 120 GPH of flow. The primary drain was overwhelmed in a matter of about 30 seconds, and water started flowing out of the backup drain. And that's with nothing hooked onto the drain except the 1/2" PVC which was plumbed into the bulkhead. After adding elbows and additional 1/2" plumbing, there's no way that the flow rate is going to anywhere but down.

On the subject of what is and what is not recommended in your install video, nothing is explicitly recommended. The only instructions are how to plumb it. The video doesn't say you must hard plumb. The video doesn't say you must mount the scrubber over the sump. All the video does is show you how to unbox it and install the PVC. Plus, though you may not have total control over what Bulk Reef Supply says in their product listings, they say that these units are "external" scrubbers. In the directions, the BRS page seems to suggest that the scrubber can be installed anywhere. The BRS page also says you may use soft plumbing or hard plumbing on the inlet, outlet, and emergency drain. If these points are not correct, you really should get in touch with BRS and have them change the product listing. If these units cannot be mounted anywhere except over a sump, your videos or product listings should really say that. The same is true if the unit must be hard plumbed.

Yesterday, your solution on the phone was more flow. The way this thing is configured, that's impossible. Even having no fittings on the output at all except two inches of 1/2" PVC, it looks like about 100-110 GPH is the max I'm going to get through this scrubber. I was even going to drill through my stand so I could switch to hard PVC on the drains. But hard plumbing is not going to allow me to get more flow through this thing.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I did not intentionally leave out of my original post that it was mounted externally, and have since updated it to reflect that. I'm not trying to get anything from you. I don't want a new scrubber and probably wouldn't use it even if you sent it. I want this thing to work, but I can't keep flooding the floor in my second-floor apartment. If you have any more solutions, I'd love to hear them.

Most five gallon buckets actually hold about 5.75 gallons...

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has to be one of the very best manufacturer responses I've ever seen.
Chipmunk, why don't you ship it back to them for testing if needed. Or, maybe they would first test flow on one, send it to you, and you can return the unit you have.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to read about your problems with this unit. That sucks. I have the same exact unit. I feel that it is really well made and works really well. I’m not knocking you or saying you’re wrong in any way, but my opinion is that this is a nice unit and I say we figure this out for you. These aren’t cheap, so let’s get this figured out so you can enjoy the unit without worrying about it spilling. See if we can avoid trashing this thing.

Can you post a quick photo of how you have it set up?

Couple questions, and I’m sorry if you already stated this...

Is the water overflowing the top of the unit or is it spraying out the top from the spray bar? Are you using the lid that came in the unit?

Is your drain line restricted or clogged?

Does the drain line exit above or below the water line of the sump? Might help if it discharges above the water line so that a full siphon can easily be formed in the drain line with no back pressure.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what changed between the time that you successfully grew algae on the device and after the leaks occured? The devices consists of a few pieces of pvc and some unions, which makes identifying a failed part rather simple. Maybe you could post pics or a diagram of the setup to show distances and heights water travels to and from the unit.

If the top or bottom drain outlets/plumbing is below the water level in your sump, it's likely that your overflow was the result of a siphon.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most five gallon buckets actually hold about 5.75 gallons...

5.75 gallons in 2 minutes 39 seconds is still only 130 GPH. Nowhere near what Clearwater is telling me I should get through this thing (175GPH+).

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would increasing (if possible) the main outflow line to 3/4 or 1" fix the problem? I don't have the unit but if the hole size can be increased this might help?

Just trying to offer possible solutions.

Yeah, if I wanted to drill and cut the acrylic which I really don't want to have to do (nor should I have to do). I suspected from the very beginning this was the reason I wasn't able to get much flow through it. But I don't know if there's enough room for a 3/4" bulkhead to fit below the emergency drain.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5.75 gallons in 2 minutes 39 seconds is still only 130 GPH. Nowhere near what Clearwater is telling me I should get through this thing (175GPH+).

Sorry for my ignorance but I’m sort of unsure about one thing.... how come you need 175GPH or more?

I’m just curious, is that the minulimum required to grow the algae?

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has to be one of the very best manufacturer responses I've ever seen.
Chipmunk, why don't you ship it back to them for testing if needed. Or, maybe they would first test flow on one, send it to you, and you can return the unit you have.

Because it would probably cost a good $20 plus to ship out there. It would take a while to get there, take a while for them to look at it, and take a while to get it back. And I might have to pay return shipping.

Plus, the big thing here that I don't think that Josh is appreciating is when this thing doesn't work, it's not like it doesn't grow algae or just stop working. It actively spills saltwater all over my floor and causes property damage. Usually a gallon each time. I live in a second floor condo and can't afford to be messing around with fixes that may or may not work. I don't think any water has made it into my downstairs neighbor's unit, but if and when it does, we're talking at least a few hundreds of dollars of painting and repairs, at the very least.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my ignorance but I’m sort of u sure about one thing.... how come you need 175GPH or more?

I’m just curious, is that the minulimum required to grow the algae?

In general in the DIY scrubber scene, about 200 GPH is recommended for a screen of this side lit on both sides. but Josh mentioned on the phone that these things are designed to have 175 GPH.

Plus, Josh said my problems were because I messed up and plumbed it incorrectly (even though I followed the instructions on BRS's site). I apparently didn't have enough flow going through it. So the 175GPH is not arbirary, and it's important that I can't seem to get more than 110 - 130 GPH to go through this scrubber.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if I wanted to drill and cut the acrylic which I really don't want to have to do (nor should I have to do). I suspected from the very beginning this was the reason I wasn't able to get much flow through it. But I don't know if there's enough room for a 3/4" bulkhead to fit below the emergency drain.

Ya fair enough. If you buy a product it should work as advertised without modification I agree with you.

Just trying to see how you can resolving the backstuffing issue.

Have you tried anything that has helped or stopped prevent the overflowing other than reduce the flow?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back