Clearwater Scrubbers - Very Disappointed Overall

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always build one yourself. They’re not that hard to put together. I know that sometimes when reefing for a while that what you need for your tank is not made the way you need it for your specific set up or that the price is beyond high for something that might work. At those times it is sometimes easier to do the work yourself. Plenty of examples on building scrubbers online. I do think we might be the only ones with an algae scrubber refugium hybrid though.

If you don’t want to put it together you could probably go to your local acrylic shop with a design and they build it for you. It would probably cost you less and you’d get want you want for the specific needs of your tank.

Examples of a hybrid algae scrubber/refugium. Scrubber on top/cheato-Vulva on bottom separated by egg crates. My fiancée built these, the second one he built with his designs but with help from a local acrylic shop [needed more solid joints attachments to strengthen acrylics joints weak spots]

Top right: algae scrubber/refugium hybrid
E121A676-86B9-44AF-8992-BCDE0EDAE32A.jpeg

Second Scrubber to replace the one above [do to aging joints on 1/8th inch acrylic]
1E209CD9-1A43-45E1-8FB8-850E1B6DED8F.jpeg
C6E72BAF-D3D0-4D15-BCDA-107E088A29B3.jpeg
18BADA79-A0F6-4A46-9705-256D7C255A5C.jpeg

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what changed between the time that you successfully grew algae on the device and after the leaks occured? The devices consists of a few pieces of pvc and some unions, which makes identifying a failed part rather simple. Maybe you could post pics or a diagram of the setup to show distances and heights water travels to and from the unit.

If the top or bottom drain outlets/plumbing is below the water level in your sump, it's likely that your overflow was the result of a siphon.

Nothing has changed. The only thing that changed is that it started making a mess, so I started cleaning more frequently.

I can't share pics of the setup because I've already taken the unit down. But this is where the unit was sitting on this stand:

IMG_20181006_094804.jpg

It was about a foot above the sump, both the emergency drain and the main drain come out above the water, only one 90* elbow was used, and the rest was 1/2" flex tubing. Water went in the front side, drains came out the back.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a quick photo of how you have it set up?

Couple questions, and I’m sorry if you already stated this...

Is the water overflowing the top of the unit or is it spraying out the top from the spray bar? Are you using the lid that came in the unit?

Is your drain line restricted or clogged?

Does the drain line exit above or below the water line of the sump? Might help if it discharges above the water line so that a full siphon can easily be formed in the drain line with no back pressure.

No pictures of the setup because I took it down. I posted a picture of the stand that the unit was on in another post in this thread.

No clue where the water is coming from. I'm going about my business at home, I hear my drain from the main tank splashing, I go in, my sump level is low and carpet is wet. I'm pretty sure the spray bar is getting clogged and water is spraying out squirt gun style as another poster said. The lid has always been used from day 1.

No, the emergency drain is never wet after these leaks. If the drain was clogged or restricted, water would have gone through the emergency drain and there'd be some in the tube.

Drain line was placed above the sump water line.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya fair enough. If you buy a product it should work as advertised without modification I agree with you.

Just trying to see how you can resolving the backstuffing issue.

Have you tried anything that has helped or stopped prevent the overflowing other than reduce the flow?

Nope, I haven't tried anything else. According to Josh, low flow was the problem. So I don't know if decreasing flow further would help.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always build one yourself. They’re not that hard to put together. I know that sometimes when reefing for a while that what you need for your tank is not made the way you need it for your specific set up or that the price is beyond high for something that might work. At those times it is sometimes easier to do the work yourself. Plenty of examples on building scrubbers online. I do think we might be the only ones with an algae scrubber refugium hybrid though.

If you don’t want to put it together you could probably go to your local acrylic shop with a design and they build it for you. It would probably cost you less and you’d get want you want for the specific needs of your tank.

Examples of a hybrid algae scrubber/refugium. Scrubber on top/cheato-Vulva on bottom separated by egg crates. My fiancée built these, the second one he built with his designs but with help from a local acrylic shop [needed more solid joints attachments to strengthen acrylics joints weak spots]

Top right: algae scrubber/refugium hybrid
E121A676-86B9-44AF-8992-BCDE0EDAE32A.jpeg

Second Scrubber to replace the one above [do to aging joints on 1/8th inch acrylic]
1E209CD9-1A43-45E1-8FB8-850E1B6DED8F.jpeg
C6E72BAF-D3D0-4D15-BCDA-107E088A29B3.jpeg
18BADA79-A0F6-4A46-9705-256D7C255A5C.jpeg

Yeah I know I could make one, but I really didn't want to go through all that trouble. I know a thing or two about DIY, but nothing about acrylic. So I figured I'd just buy one.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why dont you let them send you a shipping label to return it, and then they can either repair it or send you a replacement?

By rejecting that, it just diverts suspicion to you- why wouldn't someone be willing to have a defective item repaired/replaced? Sketchy.

Props to Clear Water Aquatics for having good customer service, apparent on page 1 :)

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why dont you let them send you a shipping label to return it, and then they can either repair it or send you a replacement?

By rejecting that, it just diverts suspicion to you- why wouldn't someone be willing to have a defective item repaired/replaced? Sketchy.

Props to Clear Water Aquatics for having good customer service, apparent on page 1 :)

Because they never offered that. Not once. Josh told me to replumb the unit to get more flow. I was going to do that. I was even going to cut a hole in my stand to run the PVC through. But the way this unit I have is configured, it's not possible to get any more flow through it.

Plus, again, as I have said in numerous posts already, this is a very expensive problem to have. If the new one has the same problem, I could be out hundreds of dollars or more to repair the ceiling in my downstairs neighbor's apartment. That's not suspicious, that's math... spend a thousand dollars to remud/retexture/repaint my neighbor's ceiling, or throw out a scrubber I bought for $250.

Also, I would call their customer service "passable" at best. In my first post, I mentioned how I posted in Clearwater's sponsor forum and never got a response. Josh's response, and I quote, was:
Also we cannot check every forum every day to see if something has been posted. That’s why pm’s and emails work best.

"I'm sorry you had trouble getting a hold of us, we're usually more available through email or PMs" would have been a much better response than "you should have emailed us or PMed us." Especially since they don't say that anywhere on their site or in their product literature.

atx100r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probably sounds funny...But on my scrubber I made a skirt out of gorilla duct tape and wrapped it around the spray bar andcdraoed it over the sides about 1" on each side....I then placed 3 zip ties evenly spaced to prevent the skirt from curling....Pulled them pretty snug and no more problems... Algae grown right up to the bottom of the skirt but not up in it blocking the exit slot

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2" drain sounds REALLY small to me. The Turbo Aquatics L2 that I have (system not set up yet) has a 1½" drain and a 1½" emergency drain.

ATS Bracket1.jpg

ATS Bracket4.jpg

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they never offered that. Not once. Josh told me to replumb the unit to get more flow. I was going to do that. I was even going to cut a hole in my stand to run the PVC through. But the way this unit I have is configured, it's not possible to get any more flow through it.

Plus, again, as I have said in numerous posts already, this is a very expensive problem to have. If the new one has the same problem, I could be out hundreds of dollars or more to repair the ceiling in my downstairs neighbor's apartment. That's not suspicious, that's math... spend a thousand dollars to remud/retexture/repaint my neighbor's ceiling, or throw out a scrubber I bought for $250.

Also, I would call their customer service "passable" at best. In my first post, I mentioned how I posted in Clearwater's sponsor forum and never got a response. Josh's response, and I quote, was:

"I'm sorry you had trouble getting a hold of us, we're usually more available through email or PMs" would have been a much better response than "you should have emailed us or PMed us." Especially since they don't say that anywhere on their site or in their product literature.

Patrick,

I am out of town this weekend but will be happy to video call you on Monday and walk you thru setting to up correctly. We have over 300 of that model in use and yours is an isolated incident. From the picture you posted of the setup, it looks like the drain is going to have to go thru the back unless you drill a hole into the stand. That’s asking a lot from 1/2” flex. Like I told you on the phone, that size flex is going to choke the flow. It’s not the bulkhead drain. We have plenty that are in use using the exact same bulkhead drain with no issues. So if your would like to video conference on Monday, I will take the time to get it working correctly. You can let me know thru this forum or thru email.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so old school and still on the fence of purchasing one. Thanks for your input OP and others.

I will probably shy away from this model after reading.

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so old school and still on the fence of purchasing one. Thanks for your input OP and others.

I wouldn’t let one bad experience change you mind Capt. We have plenty of positive reviews and make sure that you are happy with your purchase.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I researched this heavily before ordering one a few months ago, and I literally couldn’t find a negative comment about them anywhere. All positive reviews. I have this exact unit (the CW-50), and have nothing but positive things to say about it. It’s one of the better quality pieces of equipment in my entire system. If you are considering an ATS, I wouldn’t shy away from this product based on one bad experience. And in the OP’s experience, it seems like a unique configuration may be causing some issues, for which Josh is trying to provide top notch customer service to help fix.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2" drain sounds REALLY small to me. The Turbo Aquatics L2 that I have (system not set up yet) has a 1½" drain and a 1½" emergency drain.

ATS Bracket1.jpg

ATS Bracket4.jpg
Heard nothing but good things about turbos aquatics. I'm surprised at the responses on this thread, lol. People actually getting defensive due to a knowledgeable member having an issue and documenting it. @chipmunkofdoom2 thanks for posting your real life experience with this product.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patrick,

I am out of town this weekend but will be happy to video call you on Monday and walk you thru setting to up correctly. We have over 300 of that model in use and yours is an isolated incident. From the picture you posted of the setup, it looks like the drain is going to have to go thru the back unless you drill a hole into the stand. That’s asking a lot from 1/2” flex. Like I told you on the phone, that size flex is going to choke the flow. It’s not the bulkhead drain. We have plenty that are in use using the exact same bulkhead drain with no issues. So if your would like to video conference on Monday, I will take the time to get it working correctly. You can let me know thru this forum or thru email.

Just a question cause I'm curious, can the model OP has be modified to increase the outflow drains to a larger size? Maybe 1" or larger?

Again just asking cause I am curious. The scrubber seems to be large enough to allow for a larger bulkhead if you are willing to drill it out.

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question cause I'm curious, can the model OP has be modified to increase the outflow drains to a larger size? Maybe 1" or larger?

Again just asking cause I am curious. The scrubber seems to be large enough to allow for a larger bulkhead if you are willing to drill it out.

Not on this model. The chamber is smaller than the rest our product line. There is a way to run larger plumbing but we don’t usually recommend it as it involves finding fittings to screw onto the bulkhead.

The problem here isn’t the scrubber. It’s how he wants to mount it outside and have the drain ran. It is fixable and we have helped customers thru the process. Like I’ve said before, we will go above and beyond to help customers get their units working.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents, they are all a pita. I scrapped mine, and it doesn't matter which manufacturer. I've seen them all in action, some people are just ok to diddle with this, and tweek that, and gurgle, snap, and pop, and clean, clean, clean. It's what comes with the territory, people that swear by them, the bothersome maintenance just doesn't bother them. No thanks.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is not with water flow rate, but rather with water pressure (which are two completely different things)!

The reason why you're having issues is because:

1) the water traveling upwards has to pass through two 90 degree fittings. Eliminate the bottom elbow fitting if you can.

2)The inner diameter of your vinyl hose is too large. Use a vinyl hose with a smaller radius (1/2 in inner diameter).

Attached is a photo of my modified clearwater scrubber if it helps!

20181006_150634.jpg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched this heavily before ordering one a few months ago, and I literally couldn’t find a negative comment about them anywhere. All positive reviews. I have this exact unit (the CW-50), and have nothing but positive things to say about it. It’s one of the better quality pieces of equipment in my entire system. If you are considering an ATS, I wouldn’t shy away from this product based on one bad experience. And in the OP’s experience, it seems like a unique configuration may be causing some issues, for which Josh is trying to provide top notch customer service to help fix.

Thanks Reef Dude

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back