Closed loop or no closed loop

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. I didn't think there was a sump involved. When I read about it, all I learned was that it doesn't touch the air. Having trouble finding enough info on this to figure it out! Also very new to plumbing. Don't worry I will get help.
Nah, the sump is entirely separate, the closed loop is for flow, not filtering

I guess you could plumb reactors into it, but maintenance wouldnt be fun

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, the sump is entirely separate, the closed loop is for flow, not filtering

I guess you could plumb reactors into it, but maintenance wouldnt be fun
Yeah I think instead of this I'm going to try a glass Mame overflow into a sump and hide the power heads behind rock. That was my original plan, but then I started getting curious about closed loops. I just want it to look like a glass box with a tide pool in it. Zero equipment showing.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I don't get it, but how do you filter the water in a closed loop? For my next build, I don't want to see ANY equipment, but I don't understand how you'd be able to add mechanical, chemical. Etc filtration. Is it possible to add a fuge or a chaeto reactor?

Auqascaping is the best way to hide plumbing and equipment. Here's a video of one of my systems and several of a system I helped a friend set up.

Plumbing layout

Sump layout

Aquascaping

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah I think instead of this I'm going to try a glass Mame overflow into a sump and hide the power heads behind rock. That was my original plan, but then I started getting curious about closed loops. I just want it to look like a glass box with a tide pool in it. Zero equipment showing.
Years ago I thought hiding powerheads behind my rocks was a good idea, until they started getting clogged and needed to be pulled out. Turned into a royal pita.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I thought hiding powerheads behind my rocks was a good idea, until they started getting clogged and needed to be pulled out. Turned into a royal pita.

Couldn't agree with you more! :D I've seen setups where I had to leave power heads behind rocks unplugged because there was just no way to get them out without pulling half the corals and rock out.

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a closed loop on my 300g fowlr and I love how you can conceal the returns under rocks giving you a cleaner less cluttered look in the tank. Have pics in my build thread.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-300g-fowlr.351571/
Doesn't the return have to go at the top? Or can it go at the bottom? And then what do you do for an overflow that you can disguise? Also I'm doing a nano with this if that matters.

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't the return have to go at the top? Or can it go at the bottom? And then what do you do for an overflow that you can disguise? Also I'm doing a nano with this if that matters.
I’m running a closed loop on my 300g fowlr and I love how you can conceal the returns under rocks giving you a cleaner less cluttered look in the tank. Have pics in my build thread.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-300g-fowlr.351571/
Ah I just looked at your build thread. You have an opaque back....I want the whole back to be clear, like this, but ideally without the power head.

89BF1E40-EC07-4CEF-A445-241321A41FE9.png

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks - My guy refused to drill the 280 gallon tank - sighting some stability concerns (but i doubt its that - i guess he just doesn't want to do it).

I am wondering if i can do an internal closed loop system and hide it in rock works.
What is the smallest powerful pump inside the tank. - any suggestions ?
Any ways to hide the pipes (approximately 5-6 ft) _ I am wondering if i can use superglue and cement to make the rocks and sand stick to it so it looks more natural.
Which color paint will be easiest to blend in ?
What kind of paint will be good for underwater application ?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Folks - My guy refused to drill the 280 gallon tank - sighting some stability concerns (but i doubt its that - i guess he just doesn't want to do it).

I am wondering if i can do an internal closed loop system and hide it in rock works.
What is the smallest powerful pump inside the tank. - any suggestions ?
Any ways to hide the pipes (approximately 5-6 ft) _ I am wondering if i can use superglue and cement to make the rocks and sand stick to it so it looks more natural.
Which color paint will be easiest to blend in ?
What kind of paint will be good for underwater application ?
I'd find someone else if he won't do it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd find someone else if he won't do it.
Agreed! Unless that bottom of the tank is tempered there’s no issues in a couple 1-1/2” holes… if that’s gonna make the tank blow out it wasn’t built strong enough to begin with lol..

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There does not seem to be many cons to a closed loop system based on most comments I have read. Some refer to it as an "old" method to provide flow..I am ok with that if it works and I can have less wires and powerheads to clean. It would be great to replace all powerheads with closed loop returns...but I imagine creating varied flow patterns may be a bit challeging.
Check this out below. This is a closed loop only system that is fascinating and should give you a good idea you can build off of, etc. The returns are low and still have sand. It's really a remarkable setup with no power heads. He discusses the flow/setup about the one minute mark.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Agreed! Unless that bottom of the tank is tempered there’s no issues in a couple 1-1/2” holes… if that’s gonna make the tank blow out it wasn’t built strong enough to begin with lol..
Doesn't even have to go through the bottom. My last 2 tanks with closed loops had the back drilled for the closed loop.
Many years ago I actually saw a bottom drilled tank bust out the bottom so it always made me a little nervous to drill the bottom.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't even have to go through the bottom. My last 2 tanks with closed loops had the back drilled for the closed loop.
Many years ago I actually saw a bottom drilled tank bust out the bottom so it always made me a little nervous to drill the bottom.
That’s true… I’ve always went through the bottom but I build my own acrylic tanks.

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, guys, Here is my design on a 280-gallon tank.

Would love feedback and comments on this

Attachments

• 71200397452__FBD1D495-73CE-4CF7-AE31-CC73D4033256.jpeg
    71200397452__FBD1D495-73CE-4CF7-AE31-CC73D4033256.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 71200395863__ECB5770D-48C3-42A0-BFF5-E93639ACCC4B.jpeg
    71200395863__ECB5770D-48C3-42A0-BFF5-E93639ACCC4B.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 28
Back