closed loop questions......

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
planning the new cube and i want it simple and clean!!!!! no power heads etc in this thing.... that left me with my last resort a closed loop system which i don't care for with leaky bulkheads etc.:sad:.... anyways i picked up a new dart with the baby ao motor "hopefully as good as the baldor" never used this baby dart only the big boys..... so im thinking two 1.5" inlets and four 1" outlets will this be good for a dart or will it restrict it???? only reason im asking is andy has the bullet proof tank " my inspiration for my new build" and he is swapping the dart for a hammer head which sounds crazy for a 70gal cube!!!!!! according to andy he's estimating about 900gph per nozzle and i think "don't quote me" he only has 2 outlets so there has to be some restriction there somewhere.... a dart on a closed system has zero head pressure so it should push 3600gph... which should rock a little 30" cube imho..... also where is the best place to put the inlets??? i want a outlet in all four corners buried in rocks i have that planned already....;)

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2" inlets and 1 1/2" returns on mine. The bulkhead restrict it down to 3/4", at the tank. I have 12 outlets and 2 inlets for two Darts on my 300.

You don't have head loss but you do have restrictions from every 90 and 45, as well as friction loss from the pipe.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so each dart has a single 2" inlet and 6 outlets??? wow that's a lot of outlets.... does each one have a nice flow??? i don't want to use locline or anything just a simple pvc 45* to direct the flow hidden in rocks.....

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey 4 1" return lines will be great my old cube I had 6 3/4" returns 3 on the bottom pointed to the glass and 1 on each side and one in the back middle and I had awesome random flow leave your 45 degree returns so you can turn them this to adjust the flow in different spots as the corals grow flow will need to be applied in different place every now and then, but back to your question about the 1" returns being enough you'll have some restriction, but one way to cut down on this is build your elbows out of 45's anytime you need to direct your plumbing ands that'll help but you could always add another outlet too, you might with you had it later for better flow patterns just my thoughts man

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 1 2" inlet to 2 3/4 outlets on my 75 for the closed loop. The Penductors take care of the rest. I have a dart with the baldor motor and was going to hook it up on this tank only to realize I'll probably have too restrictive of an inlet so I am waiting for my upgrade.

I like the idea of doing the oputlets hidden in the rocks. Are you going bare bottom or sand? That would determine the placement of the inlets. If bare bottom you could hide them in the lower portions of the tank. If you are going with sand I'd say have them further up the back side.

The 45 degree elbows are a good thing as the 90s will restrict flow too much.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna have sand I can't have a tank without it lol.... I'm thinking about building a little perch out of like 4" PVC tubing set it on the bottom and have a single outlet in each one and rocks cut to fit it all just right....let me dig up a pic of what I want Ed reef did it and I just love it!!!!

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze rock in the first pic is nice but his cl I can't get enough of it's fully adjustable with the PVC...I think I can do a little better job with hiding it thou... I'm thinking spray foam on the 45 also so it really blends...
2ec558f7.jpg

bf2e921e.jpg

5d02b6a6.jpg

Martin's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no body besides murf????? i need to get my plumbing ordered..:xd:
I have a dart on my 90gal cube with one 1 1/2" drain and four 1 1/4" that are reduced to 3/4" eyeball bulkheads with no problems!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the "orbital eyes" on my back wall. I would say I get about 600 per outlet. (I am running 2 darts on this manifold) I have one running my frag tank and I had to turn one off due to a leak (ball valve everything) I cheat though and run a full size and nano wavebox, giving myself a 2 1/2 to 3" wave.

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back