Closed loop still viable?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a tank and I really considered doing a closed loop. The tank isn’t big at all, just a slightly stretched 60 cube-but I like the clean lines of not having a powerhead in the tank. This thread is making me want to call and add a couple more holes to the back wall!

If you do, plan for Schedule 80 bulkheads. I used regular 40s on mine and I wish I had have went with the 80s even with there extra cost.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone using a vectra m1 for closed loop? It has a 1" return and 1.25" intake. Do I need to maintain these sizes or can I drop the intake to 1" and reduce the return to 3/4" bulkheads since there will be two per loop. I'd keep the return pipes 1" until the bulkheads themselves. I know these pumps don't like water restrictions but I'd like to keep the hole sizes smaller to keep the false wall/drain section smaller.

I want to run two seperate CLs each with a vectra m1, unless someone has another dc controllable/rampable pump they'd suggest?

Thanks

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a closed loop on my 450 and it works fine. As you exceed 1” thick walls, power head options become somewhat limited. I do use MP60s as well as the closed loop. Ramping return pumps like the vectra have largely negated the need for things like flow diverters. I’m not a big fan of punching a bunch of holes in my tanks, so there’s that to consider. In the attached picture, closed loop are the three tubes outside the overflow.

CDA02164-18AE-4DE2-AE7E-BBF9B8A14E9A.png

Do you happen to have a pic of what the front looks like during the build? Curious as to what your intakes and outlets look like.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is anyone using a vectra m1 for closed loop? It has a 1" return and 1.25" intake. Do I need to maintain these sizes or can I drop the intake to 1" and reduce the return to 3/4" bulkheads since there will be two per loop. I'd keep the return pipes 1" until the bulkheads themselves. I know these pumps don't like water restrictions but I'd like to keep the hole sizes smaller to keep the false wall/drain section smaller.

I want to run two seperate CLs each with a vectra m1, unless someone has another dc controllable/rampable pump they'd suggest?

Thanks
Everything I've ever read about the suction side of a pump is that you don't want to restrict it. I would stay with the same size as the pump.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going out on a limb here and joining in. I've been working closed loop systems using canisters and multiple canisters and multiple canisters in series and multiple canisters in parallel and multiple canisters with in-line return booster pumps and... across multiple size tanks from 45-90 gal. Been at it for 18-months now. I'd love to have some open shared discussion about system design challenges and solutions.

My current target flow parameters are 8-10x tank size for internal flow, and 3-5x tank capacity for external flow. So I'm running powerheads internally, actually replacing powerheads with a single GYRE and thus far I'm very satisfied.

Let the games begin!

Back