Closed Loop Vectra L2 Question

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering doing a closed loop on my new build coming up and utilizing the old school Ocean Motion when I came across the Vectra L2 pumps that can be ran as a closed loop in a couple different modes.

Has anyone used these as a closed loop pump or in sequence with 2 Vectra L2 pumps to create the wave like current or random flow patterns on a large tank?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Vectra M1 with an OM device on a closed loop. The OM device is useful if you just use a single pump, as I do. Without it, I'd use dual Vectra in antisynch mode.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I ran a Vectra L1 on my 233 as a closed loop pump for about 2 years, until I went with a RD3 150 watt.

OP
OP
buck27

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I am wondering, if I didnt use an OM at all, is it feasible to plumb up 2 Vectra L2 pumps in antisync or wave mode and get good results? For example, plumb them up with constant input drains, T off the return into 2 returns on each pump or so???

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I am wondering, if I didnt use an OM at all, is it feasible to plumb up 2 Vectra L2 pumps in antisync or wave mode and get good results? For example, plumb them up with constant input drains, T off the return into 2 returns on each pump or so???

This is how I'll be setting up my closed loop system. Dual DC pumps, haven't 100% decided on which ones yet but in theory it should provide as good if not better flow than a 4 outlet Ocean Motion device in the 2-4 configuration...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is how I'll be setting up my closed loop system. Dual DC pumps, haven't 100% decided on which ones yet but in theory it should provide as good if not better flow than a 4 outlet Ocean Motion device in the 2-4 configuration...

How are you planning on doing the suction side of the pumps on the inside of the tank?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you planning on doing the suction side of the pumps on the inside of the tank?

My tank has a hole drilled for a 1 1/2" bulkhead for the suction inlet. This will run to the pumps and be T'd off to the two pumps. The inlet itself will have something similar on the inside of the tank. A 1 1/2" T with dual strainers under the aquascape I have planned. Possibly a foot long section of pipe on either end with 1/4ish inch holes drilled throughout them.

Last edited:

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning to do a closed loop in my 300gal build. My plan is 2 of the jeabo DCQ pumps. They have a wave setting. I bought the dcq10000 and tested it. Its basically a pulse . Ill have multiple of the random flow generator nozzles on outlets throughout the tank, so the flow should be pretty crazy. Ill also have them on a controller so i can have them on and off at different times or run them both at the same time.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My tank has a hole drilled for a 1 1/2" bulkhead for the suction inlet. This will run to the pumps and be T'd off to the two pumps. The inlet itself will have something similar on the inside of the tank. A 1 1/2" T with dual strainers under the aquascape I have planned. Possibly a foot long section of pipe on either end with 1/4ish inch holes drilled throughout them.
A single 1-1/2" bulkhead for 2 pumps? What pumps?

My first design of the suction pipe on the inside of the tank consisted of the tee with 6" lengths of pipe with strainers. A couple hundred 1/4" holes
Was fine until a anemone rolled over that way and got sucked in.
Went to more pipe with holes and a outer shield /guard made from a plastic basket with slits cut in it.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Im planning to do a closed loop in my 300gal build. My plan is 2 of the jeabo DCQ pumps. They have a wave setting. I bought the dcq10000 and tested it. Its basically a pulse . Ill have multiple of the random flow generator nozzles on outlets throughout the tank, so the flow should be pretty crazy. Ill also have them on a controller so i can have them on and off at different times or run them both at the same time.
Do not skimp on the valves and unions.
Use good quality valves too.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single 1-1/2" bulkhead for 2 pumps? What pumps?

My first design of the suction pipe on the inside of the tank consisted of the tee with 6" lengths of pipe with strainers. A couple hundred 1/4" holes
Was fine until a anemone rolled over that way and got sucked in.
Went to more pipe with holes and a outer shield /guard made from a plastic basket with slits cut in it.

This suction pipe will be 100% wrapped in a 3 foot long rock structure that is kindof put together like a shell with some holes drilled in it. This way I can take the structure apart in sections if need be for cleaning or fragging. Its kindof hard to explain without having it all put together though. No fish or anemones will be able to have access to the actual inlet pipe.

Initial pump size is still currently up in the air, I'm thinking dual M2s or atleast something of similar flow rate. They will not be run at 100% for most of the time softy/LPS/nem tank.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This suction pipe will be 100% wrapped in a 3 foot long rock structure that is kindof put together like a shell with some holes drilled in it. This way I can take the structure apart in sections if need be for cleaning or fragging. Its kindof hard to explain without having it all put together though. No fish or anemones will be able to have access to the actual inlet pipe.
Yeah as long as you have a plan for it.
I didn't and it was a disaster.
Rose bubble tip got sucked in.
While I was trying to unscrew the tee in the bulkhead, my shoulder hit the Radion mount bar and 4 Raions took a swim.
Wasn't a good day at all.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I were doing my closed loop over, that’s what I would do. Connect the suction sides of both pumps to a single, common 1 1/2” input and then the output of each pump to individual returns. Run in synch/anti synth, a single 1 1/2” input will be fine with the vectra M . Maybe you’d want to go 2” on the vectra L - whatever native is.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as long as you have a plan for it.
I didn't and it was a disaster.
Rose bubble tip got sucked in.
While I was trying to unscrew the tee in the bulkhead, my shoulder hit the Radion mount bar and 4 Raions took a swim.
Wasn't a good day at all.

That sounds like a really, REALLY bad day. And I've had lots of time on this build to think things over so I've tried to come up with every potential issue I could think of and plan a solution for it. I do wish I had have gone with a 2" inlet but at the time I was only considering one pump and an Ocean Motions device.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That sounds like a really, REALLY bad day. And I've had lots of time on this build to think things over so I've tried to come up with every potential issue I could think of and plan a solution for it. I do wish I had have gone with a 2" inlet but at the time I was only considering one pump and an Ocean Motions device.
I never even considered more than one pump when I designed my system. But then I didn't really have time to think about it. The tank before it developed a leak and I noticed where it was coming from on a Thursday, and that next Saturday I was sitting at a tank builders business drawing up plans for a new one.
But even now it's getting me thinking,,,,,,lol
Lets see,,,, sell the Red Dragons and go back to Vectras,,,,,,,,,lol

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never even considered more than one pump when I designed my system. But then I didn't really have time to think about it. The tank before it developed a leak and I noticed where it was coming from on a Thursday, and that next Saturday I was sitting at a tank builders business drawing up plans for a new one.
But even now it's getting me thinking,,,,,,lol
Lets see,,,, sell the Red Dragons and go back to Vectras,,,,,,,,,lol

Why would you need to sell the Red Dragons? I mean, I'd take them off your hands lol

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to pay for new pumps

If you have two Red Dragons you can use those, you would have to purchase the appropriate module to control it and this is assuming you have either a profilux or Apex. The new Hydros wave controller should be able to control them as well..

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you have two Red Dragons you can use those, you would have to purchase the appropriate module to control it and this is assuming you have either a profilux or Apex. The new Hydros wave controller should be able to control them as well..
I have no desire to go with a external controller of any kind.
My thought was to use a pair of L2's on opposite flow patterns like was previously suggested, before I side tracked this thread.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can certainly see applications where a red dragon or abyzz pump would be called for, but on a closed loop where there’s no head pressure to overcome (though there is some friction back pressure of course) something much less expensive is really all that’s necessary. That the vectra has the ability to vary flow makes it almost ideal for a closed loop. I bought my M1 on the day it was released and it has hummed along (fugurative not literal as it is silent) ever since - 4 years, maybe even 5?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back