Closed loop with seaswirls

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone
I have a Vectra M1 in a closed loop connected to two 3/4 seaswirls. I have the pump just going full speed. Does anyone have any experience with using the diffrent modes on the pump with the seaswirls I.e. Lagoon random or gyre mode? Or Am I better off just using it at full speed
Thanks in advance
Justin Graham

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The linkage and the motor in the sea swirls are fairly small and the changing flow might adversely affect them.
I would stay at a steady speed. Others may have actually done what you want to do and may have a better idea what would happen.
But if it were my plan, I'd stay on the steady flow.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that I want to change it. It is working out great the way I have it I was just wondering if the other modes were better with the swirls. That's why I was asking if anyone out there has done it because I'm more of if it ain't broke don't fix it kinda guy. So instead of me trying it out and messing up everything wanted to know if people have done it and what thier conclusion is.
I'm thinking the swirl is moving the water as is so their is really no need to ramp up and down the output of the vectra as well. But I could be wrong and that's why I asked.
Thanks for your insight
Justin

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with MFINN, I had a Dart pump running through 2 - 1" units CLOSED LOOP and they both stopped working after 4 days because of to much flow.
The sea swirls did?

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 Sea Swirls, 6 on closed loop with RD Speedy 230 pumps and run variable flow up to 5400 gallons divided by 4 and the Sea Swirls have not had a problem in 5 years. Before the new pumps had them on older Rd 12 laguna style pumps. I have not had one swirl go out since I started in 2009 and I have had them on all my systems and love there random flow.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pciscott I love the sea swirls I haven't had a problem either. So are you saying u use like a reef mode? Or are yours on a constant speed? Also are yours 3/4? Can you explain your set up a little bit more please?
Thanks
Justin

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back