Cloudy salt

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again my wrasse made it down to my sump. After emptying the rock and getting him out I figured it would be a good opportunity to do a water change and clean out the sump. In a rush I dumped my salt, reef crystals, into the ro water in one load, usually I do a half cup at a time. Running a pump but the mix is still cloudy. Any idea how long it will take to clear up? Suggestions?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Instant Ocean and usually need to give it 12 hours or so to clear up. Not sure about Reef Crystals though. It depends how much of the cloudiness is undissolved salt and how much is precipitated calcium carbonate.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been mixing? If it's been overnight, and is still cloudy, my guess is that by dumping all at once you created a micro environment of high alk and calc, causing calcium carbonate precipitation. You can still use this water, but it will be low in alk and calc.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been mixing for about 4 hours. It' a soft coral tank so hopefully I'll be ok. I'll let it go for a bit longer and see if it improves. Thanks

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically dump a whole bag into my mixing container. It clears up in a few hours. I use Reef Crystals too.

Something must have caused a precipitation.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey John how is it going? I checked it about an hour and a half ago and it seems to be clearing up a bit

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey John how is it going? I checked it about an hour and a half ago and it seems to be clearing up a bit

Hi Craig. I'm doing well. The corals you gave me are doing super too. My tank is now a true mixed reef, with a good collection of SPS, LPS and Softies. I am getting more and more of the SPS bug though.

I'm running a 65 gallon and a 40 gallon breeder (with all soft corals) but still intent to get my 180 gallon reef up and running this winter. I have everything, but the lights (ka-ching !!!). I plan on 3 Ecotech xr30's with T5's.

I have some neon green sinalaria for you and some Pocillopora too. Just holler and we'll get together.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I'l hit you up next time I'm heading that way. Sounds like its time to break the piggy bank open and get that 180 up and running.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back