terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ur cal was super low, what's your mag?

Read this over.

IF you alk and mag are super low compared to cal you will have cloudiness the 3 elements need to be in harmony for sure.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What changes have you made in the last month? Did you add any bio load?

What corals do you have up there?

What are you dosing just Cal? Are you not dosing any other elements?

How frequent are your water changes and how much water do you change?

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What changes have you made in the last month? Did you add any bio load?

What corals do you have up there?

What are you dosing just Cal? Are you not dosing any other elements?

How frequent are your water changes and how much water do you change?
These are what needs to be looked at not bacterial blooms. The calcium being so low is an indicator for precipitation. The info of dosing only calcium leads even more to precipitation.
We need numbers for alk and mag as well as the answers to these questions

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some gac in your sump and add a uv unit and run it 24/7 and keep everything else running especially your skimmer. Within a day or 2 it should pretty much be cleared up. Going forward always keep the uv running, it won't cause any negative effects to your livestock. You mentioned it gets better when the lights are off so its definently a bloom from organisms that multiply using lights so the uv filter will clear that up quick and keep it from resurfacing.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the article I linked, there's several reasons why. Just go through it and start trying to pin point.

My bet is on precipitation since it's been 2 weeks. But could be wrong.

Until you get your water clear again as well tests on CAl MAg and Alk may not be accurate as the cloudiness is the elements loose in the water, and the test kits we used aren't made to test with the elements in states of precipitation but rather stable.

IF you can't pin point It I'd do 3-4 50% water changes over 2 weeks with fresh made perfect param saltwater, and you'll probably solve it like that as well.

OP
OP
jrawk1120

jrawk1120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have been dosing calcium over the past few weeks without dosing alk you will have precipitate and it looks just like you have. Basically what you are dosing isn’t being used because it isn’t being balanced.
Any idea how to correct that?

OP
OP
jrawk1120

jrawk1120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the article I linked, there's several reasons why. Just go through it and start trying to pin point.

Until you get your water clear again as well tests on CAl MAg and Alk may not be accurate as the cloudiness is the elements loose in the water, and the test kits we used aren't made to test with the elements in states of precipitation but rather stable.

IF you can't pin point It I'd do 3-4 50% water changes over 2 weeks with fresh made perfect param saltwater, and you'll probably solve it like that as well.
Looking for the link. I've done 2 20%changes over the last couple weeks.

Just weird that it clears up with no light.

OP
OP
jrawk1120

jrawk1120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Found it, read it.

Didn't really say much of how to clear that precipitation. Should I cut the doser off and wait it out?

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how to correct that?
There’s been info left here for you in the thread. It’s a fairly basic part of reefing but not one that is managed without proper parameter monitoring and equal balanced dosing. Read up and learn. It’s the best way to get further in this hobby. I took advice all day but I never learned until I put the time into educate myself. Something I wish I did early on. Would have saved me thousands of dollars and lots of time and energy throwing crap at the wall and seeing what stuck.

OP
OP
jrawk1120

jrawk1120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s been info left here for you in the thread. It’s a fairly basic part of reefing but not one that is managed without proper parameter monitoring and equal balanced dosing. Read up and learn. It’s the best way to get further in this hobby. I took advice all day but I never learned until I put the time into educate myself. Something I wish I did early on. Would have saved me thousands of dollars and lots of time and energy throwing crap at the wall and seeing what stuck.
I'm just new to using a doser. I always corrected my levels by measuring by hand and dumping it in until this tank.

I'm not a newb to the hobby, just to the excitement equipment.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just new to using a doser. I always corrected my levels by measuring by hand and dumping it in until this tank.

I'm not a newb to the hobby, just to the excitement equipment.
But you are dosing only calcium. Doesn’t matter where you are at in this hobby you learn new things. Sometimes people learn at different stages

OP
OP
jrawk1120

jrawk1120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you are dosing only calcium. Doesn’t matter where you are at in this hobby you learn new things. Sometimes people learn at different stages
Do you dose alk Emden when it's not needed. Just tested my alk and it's 10

Attachments

• 20201202_161204.jpg
    20201202_161204.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 14

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose all for reef and it is based off my alk. I don’t care to mess with 2 part when I can use one. I’m not to the stage where I need more than that with my new tank.

what is your salinity, like real actual salinity?
What was your most recent magnesium test results?

OP
OP
jrawk1120

jrawk1120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity matches on my Milwaukee digital to my apex probe at 34.

Mag read 1300 yesterday

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back