Cloudy tank from sand " Gobie"

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Gobie is making tank cloudy tank is 7 weeks old. Is there any thing I can do to clear it up ? I'm running two canester filters one from over Flo box and one from intake 3/4 way down tank. What can I expect. Obviously it's fine sand.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What species of goby? If it's one that heavily relies on the sandbed for food, it'll starve in a new, small tank.

There isn't really much you can do about that, short of swapping out the sand. The sifting is a natural part of their behavior, and is why some people don't like to keep them.

OP
OP
Richards Aquarium

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond watchman. He's in a 75 gallon and he does eat brine when I feed.

Attachments

• 20231205_180552.jpg
    20231205_180552.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 19

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, good- watchmen sift sand, but do fine on prepared foods. Make sure you have a nutritious food, though- adult brine are treats, not especially nutritious. Mysis are good, or ideally a mix of foods.

Watchmen, unfortunately, kinda just do that. It might subside eventually if your filters catch enough of the dust and he runs out of dust to scatter.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Gobie is making tank cloudy tank is 7 weeks old. Is there any thing I can do to clear it up ? I'm running two canester filters one from over Flo box and one from intake 3/4 way down tank. What can I expect. Obviously it's fine sand.
Get a micron or diatom filter.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a tough one as you have added livestock, it's not your gobies fault doing it's natural behaviour.
Maybe turn off one cannister filter then...
It's not an ideal solution /option but could you possibly stir up sand bed, and use one filter to remove all particles?
You might have to clean out filter every couple of hours? Or maybe add an internal filter just to remove finer particles, or both :)

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond watchman. He's in a 75 gallon and he does eat brine when I feed.
You could possibly add some special grade to it. Bad news is as mentioned it's totally the nature of the beast and if you have plans on growing coral it will be a constant battle keeping it clean. I love them but feel like they should be sold with a turkey baster.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back