Cloudy Tank

Seaside831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I recently decided to upgrade from a 30-gallon tank to a 60-gallon display tank and a 30-gallon sump. For the last two weeks, my water has been extremely cloudy. I tried doing a water change & cutting back from feeding to see if it would help but unfortunately, it is still cloudy. I went to my local fish store and they told me that it could be my blue spotted jaw fish causing the cloudiness due to all the sand digging. However, I don't think my jawfish could make this much cloudiness by itself. I'm currently using two filter socks at 225 microns. I'm thinking of switching it over to 100 microns to see if that will help. If this doesn't work are there any other solutions that you can recommend? Thank you
image000000.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn something new here every day, and yes looking at the sand it's really fine stuff.
Well that could be why also, there are different grades of sand so perhaps you chose a very fine grade and its not setting in the tank coupled with the jawfish moving it. You can always take some out and add another grade on top to hold it down better.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time hearing about bacteria bloom. Did some research on it looks like a UV sterilizer will help if that's the case. I will add it to my Amazon cart in case. Thank you
If you believe it is a bloom make sure you have good surface ripple because blooms can lower 02 levels in the tank and you need good gas exchange then lower lights for a few days and it will go away. Check all your parameters to make sure they are in the good ranges too.

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a new cycle in a tank in mid December. I accidentally put like a cup worth of microbacter into the tank to kick it off….never pour over your tank. It’s been a cloud since with massive bacterial slimes on every think. Plugs up socks. I put a 55w uv on the tank it’s a 65g. Still week later cloudy. Wonder if a 50% water change is in order. I tried adding ammonia to see if I get nitrate and while the ammonia goes away I don’t see any nitrate. Weird. I feel your pain. Wondering if I dose some hydrogen peroxide wait week and start over.

oh skimmer is very active and the skim is green yellow,like snot. Smells and looks,like the layer of slime on a dead fish.

ps nothing but dead rock in the tank. Absolutely nothing else.

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried cleaning your glass. I found a slime layer that made it look way worse than it is.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 106 76.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back