cloudy tank

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so today i’m noticing my tank is pretty cloudy and i don’t know why, maybe an algae bloom? i’m not sure. Our power went out today and i used a bubbler to just give the water oxygen until the power went back on and that’s when i noticed it. i used one of those foam filters that people use a lot in freshwater tanks, it sat out for a couple weeks in my closet since i didn’t have a use for it and i don’t know if that could of caused anything? Right now im running just gfo in my reactor which i know i probably shouldn’t i didn’t know after the fact but i plan on buying carbon to add to it when i can get my hands on some so would that just be my best option?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so today i’m noticing my tank is pretty cloudy and i don’t know why, maybe an algae bloom? i’m not sure. Our power went out today and i used a bubbler to just give the water oxygen until the power went back on and that’s when i noticed it. i used one of those foam filters that people use a lot in freshwater tanks, it sat out for a couple weeks in my closet since i didn’t have a use for it and i don’t know if that could of caused anything? Right now im running just gfo in my reactor which i know i probably shouldn’t i didn’t know after the fact but i plan on buying carbon to add to it when i can get my hands on some so would that just be my best option?
Are there fish in the tank and if so how many and what size tank?
Have you checked Ammonia levels?

When water flow stops, there can be some bacterial die off which can result in an Ammonia spike.
This can then result in cloudiness.

Watch your ammonia level and if necessary do water changes, the clouds should clear up in a day or two.

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just read it now at 0.10ppm, i took my powerbeats and faced them up to give more surface agitation which seems to help a bit but im going to do a small water change anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_2030.jpeg
    IMG_2030.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 20

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that tester is measuring NH3 as indicated rather then NH4+/NH3, the level is quite high.

I'd keep a close eye on tank inhabitants and mix up some water.

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve been biting the bullet this past month or so, i got all new live rock for my tank some time ago that was given to me by a family friend which my nitrates and phosphates have been hard to get under control as well. But my fish aren’t gasping for air at the surface they don’t even seem bothered but i went ahead and did a 30% water change in my 35 gal cube so hopefully tmr it clears up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back