Cloudy Water Established Reef Tank

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have an established (about 1.5 year old) bare bottom reef tank. I have always had very clear water, given my robust filtration. A few days ago, I tried to feed something new - Fauna Marin Min S. By the very next day, my water has turned quite milky and hazy. I tried doing a big water change because I though my inverts spawned, but the cloudiness quickly returned. I now believe the food caused this. Moving forward, what do you all suggest I do? Wait it out? In all my years reefing, I've never dealt with a bacteria bloom in an established reef.

Thank you.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures? Bacterial blooms are usually nothing to worry about as long as oxygen is not overly effected. Is it just a little hazy or is it milk? Do you have something that died in there maybe stuck under a rock?

My corals like a little bacterial haze from time to time..

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a bacterial bloom a UV sterilizer should clear it up pretty quickly.
I purchased a UV sterilizer up yesterday, and my water has already cleared up! Must've been a bacteria bloom caused by the food 'Min S'. I wouldn't be surprised, the food stinks horribly.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures? Bacterial blooms are usually nothing to worry about as long as oxygen is not overly effected. Is it just a little hazy or is it milk? Do you have something that died in there maybe stuck under a rock?

My corals like a little bacterial haze from time to time..
Nothing died, it was more of like a haze. I picked up a UV sterilizer, and it cleared up the water very quickly.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a UV sterilizer up yesterday, and my water has already cleared up! Must've been a bacteria bloom caused by the food 'Min S'. I wouldn't be surprised, the food stinks horribly.
how much did you feed? that food is very concentrated. I think its only one drop per 100 liters.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back