Cloudy water from bacteria?

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 20lbs of KP rock shipped overnight wrapped in paper towels, I took off all the urchins, dead; crabs, sponges, shrimp, starfish, and whatever else I could see. I added a bottle of biospira and 3/4 a bottle of microbacter7 for bacteria to help the new rock. I am assuming the cloudiness is a bacterial bloom as I tested the NH4 at 12:30 pm and got 1.0ppm and then I just tested the NH4 at 9:30 pm and still got 1.0ppm. The cloudiness does remind me of the bacterial blooms I have had when I set up new freshwater tanks. I do have 5 gallons of water on stand-by if I should need to do a WC. I feel like I should wait this out?

KP Rock 2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes and one that should clear up in 24-48 hours

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's what I assumed, I just wanted to be sure. If it doesn't clear up in 24-48 hours should I do a WC? I will test NH4 in the morning and night everyday too
Slight water change and assess your filtration

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's what I assumed, I just wanted to be sure. If it doesn't clear up in 24-48 hours should I do a WC? I will test NH4 in the morning and night everyday too
Slight water change and assess your filtration

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 20lbs of KP rock shipped overnight wrapped in paper towels, I took off all the urchins, dead; crabs, sponges, shrimp, starfish, and whatever else I could see. I added a bottle of biospira and 3/4 a bottle of microbacter7 for bacteria to help the new rock. I am assuming the cloudiness is a bacterial bloom as I tested the NH4 at 12:30 pm and got 1.0ppm and then I just tested the NH4 at 9:30 pm and still got 1.0ppm. The cloudiness does remind me of the bacterial blooms I have had when I set up new freshwater tanks. I do have 5 gallons of water on stand-by if I should need to do a WC. I feel like I should wait this out?

KP Rock 2.jpg
Yeah probably, Microbacter7 do contain heterotrophs (and I presume the rocks may have too) that are just happily consuming all the organic compounds atm from any residual die-off.

I reckon you can just leave it be. It'll subside.

OP
OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Leave it alone. You can do a small wc tomorrow or in 2 or 3 days you can add a bad.of.carbon.

How do you like the rock? Lots of.live stuff?
D
I got the "coralline" rock so not a ton of life but it did come with some life, mainly worms and urchins. Also a couple crabs and shrimp, oh and a single marginella snail

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back