Cloudy water - some days clear some days not… why?

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some days we notice the water seems really clear and others we notice it’s really cloudy and the changes happen over the night hours. Why would this be happening ? Today it’s a white cloudy look while the last several days it’s been relatively clear. What would cause this ?

image.jpg

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some days we notice the water seems really clear and others we notice it’s really cloudy and the changes happen over the night hours. Why would this be happening ? Today it’s a white cloudy look while the last several days it’s been relatively clear. What would cause this ?

image.jpg
Whats your setup like?
Skimmer? Do pumps shutoff at night? More details Please.
Usually bacteria with the white/cloudy water

OP
OP
ReefDragon420

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your setup like?
Skimmer? Do pumps shutoff at night? More details Please.
Usually bacteria with the white/cloudy water
Canister filter no skimmers or such. Pump always on. It’s a damselfish and lettuce sea slug mainly tank with cuc. Do have air bubbles going to help with movement and oxygen. I have been told it may be bacterial due to not having Uv light nor skimmer. We did just add bunch of algae , bryopsis mostly, to help feed our slugs.

OP
OP
ReefDragon420

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could be a bacterial bloom, or maybe some of your caulerpa went sexual?
Was my guess, can the plants do this nightly? Will changing the light schedule help, I have main daytime lights on for about 11 hrs with a fade up and fade out plus 3 hrs of blue and about 6 hrs dark
ROUGHLY

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was my guess, can the plants do this nightly? Will changing the light schedule help, I have main daytime lights on for about 11 hrs with a fade up and fade out plus 3 hrs of blue and about 6 hrs dark
ROUGHLY
If your caulerpa did go sexual a little then more may happen. It’s probably a nutrients issue like there isn’t enough nitrates and phosphates ( I think)

OP
OP
ReefDragon420

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If our algae plants are going sexual in the evenings will a UV help ? I’m not much of wanting to go with extra filtration including carbon but I can always put some carbon in my layers within the canister filter

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If our algae plants are going sexual in the evenings will a UV help ? I’m not much of wanting to go with extra filtration including carbon but I can always put some carbon in my layers within the canister filter
Well, with the filtration setup you have you’re somewhat limited in terms of what you can implement. But carbon generally helps to some extent.

OP
OP
ReefDragon420

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, with the filtration setup you have you’re somewhat limited in terms of what you can implement. But carbon generally helps to some extent.
Just read in another thread folks having my issue and great success with one of those little green machine Uv sterilizer assuming my issue is bacteria/ algae bloom which is seemingly the issue.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read in another thread folks having my issue and great success with one of those little green machine Uv sterilizer assuming my issue is bacteria/ algae bloom which is seemingly the issue.
I was going to say that from the image you posted it looked like you had a lot of algae, but then you mentioned that you added some for your inverts. I’ve always had good success keeping algae under control with my UV (I haven’t used the little green machine, though).

OP
OP
ReefDragon420

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say that from the image you posted it looked like you had a lot of algae, but then you mentioned that you added some for your inverts. I’ve always had good success keeping algae under control with my UV (I haven’t used the little green machine, though).
Yes we have a lot of macro algae. Bryopsis was just added , have chaeto, dragon tongue, Mexican and prolifia all in the main display (our only) tank. If they go sexual at night will UV help this or carbon or both ?
What happens exactly when a plant / algae goes sexual ??

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may want to dose nitrates and phosphates. Both will help clean it up, but will not stop them from going sexual. When they go sexual they basically release all the nutrients they have in them and practically dissolve. it can crash tanks

OP
OP
ReefDragon420

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may want to dose nitrates and phosphates. Both will help clean it up, but will not stop them from going sexual. When they go sexual they basically release all the nutrients they have in them and practically dissolve. it can crash tanks
Dose with as in add in the tank phosphate and nitrate??

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back