Cloudy water

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully set up my QT. I have a small Royal gramma in there but i'm having a problem with unclear water. Running 2 overflow pumps rated for 10 gallons and sponge filter that has been in my sump for over a month gathering bacteria. My overflow filters are running filter media but i have added extra carbon. What else can i do
ede05f4f6fb751b251a7782c761a9782.jpg

mikester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's seem more like a bacterial bloom and if so it's patience you must have.I have been doing saltwater for over 15 years and I developed a bloom about a month ago. Use some bacterial gen m not the MD

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyday a 1 gallon WC and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys i have bigger problems. I get home today from work and i found the gramma laying on the bottom of the tank barely breathing. In desperation, I took her out and put her in an acclimating box that i had and put her in my display. She's still laying on her side but her breathing is getting steadier and she still hasn't eaten. What can i do besides sit and wait?

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys i have bigger problems. I get home today from work and i found the gramma laying on the bottom of the tank barely breathing. In desperation, I took her out and put her in an acclimating box that i had and put her in my display. She's still laying on her side but her breathing is getting steadier and she still hasn't eaten. What can i do besides sit and wait?

Can you take a cellphone video of her and upload it in the disease forum? (Alternatively, you can upload it here and tag @Humblefish and @melypr1985 )

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there were no meds in the QT with the gramma? Typically a bacterial bloom will suck oxygen out of the water causing issues for the fish. Adding more oxygen to the water with a power head pointed at the surface or extra air stone will help quite a bit, along with regular water changes until the bloom goes away. You can add a bacteria in a bottle product to help out as well. I would like to see a video or picture of him.

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there were no meds in the QT with the gramma? Typically a bacterial bloom will suck oxygen out of the water causing issues for the fish. Adding more oxygen to the water with a power head pointed at the surface or extra air stone will help quite a bit, along with regular water changes until the bloom goes away. You can add a bacteria in a bottle product to help out as well. I would like to see a video or picture of him.

My phone is acting crazy. It's the best i can do for right now

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My phone is acting crazy. It's the best i can do for right now

OK. You can try a methilyne blue dip or just wait it out and see if he recovers. If he does, then the white stringy poop is a concern that indicates intestinal worms/internal parasites. Treat with metroplex or general cure.

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. You can try a methilyne blue dip or just wait it out and see if he recovers. If he does, then the white stringy poop is a concern that indicates intestinal worms/internal parasites. Treat with metroplex or general cure.
She's gone. She went into a fit and stayed with her mouth wide open, gills stayed open. No more royal gramma for me[emoji31]

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back