Cloudy water

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no meds are present in the QT, I would test for ammonia. Use a test kit to double check the alert badge's reading.

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's gone. She went into a fit and stayed with her mouth wide open, gills stayed open. No more royal gramma for me[emoji31]
I am so sorry.

I know it is probably not anything you want to consider at the moment, but Diver's Den has Royal Grammas somewhat regularly. You would be getting a fish that has a history of eating and has been treated for at least some common parasites. They also have a 2 week guarantee. I hate to see anyone go through watching a fish die like this over and over again.

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no meds are present in the QT, I would test for ammonia. Use a test kit to double check the alert badge's reading.
I did and the ammonia reading was 0. I know API isn't the most reliable but it's what i have

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question the tank that's in that vid how old is it the rocks look like they are still in cycle stage
They were dry San Marco pokani rock. It's been in there since the beginning. Unfortunately for me i got an algea bloom that my cuc can't keep up with. I don't want to get more because i want enough to go around

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry.

I know it is probably not anything you want to consider at the moment, but Diver's Den has Royal Grammas somewhat regularly. You would be getting a fish that has a history of eating and has been treated for at least some common parasites. They also have a 2 week guarantee. I hate to see anyone go through watching a fish die like this over and over again.
I thank you but i don't know where diver's den is. I live in south Florida. West palm Beach to be exact. I will not be acquiring any more fish until i get my QT under control. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but maybe need more knowledge. I will wait until i can get my QT water clear before i purchase any other fish. But I'm going to also start to cycle a nano cube that i just rebuilt.

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thank you but i don't know where diver's den is. I live in south Florida. West palm Beach to be exact. I will not be acquiring any more fish until i get my QT under control. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but maybe need more knowledge. I will wait until i can get my QT water clear before i purchase any other fish. But I'm going to also start to cycle a nano cube that i just rebuilt.
Diver's Den is the online What You See is What You Get portion of Live Aquaria.

I am not sure you are doing anything wrong. I think you have started out with a couple of diseased fish, unfortunately.

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have a pump moving the surface water ?
I have 2. Whisper pumps rated for 10 gallons each. I have just got a dual air pump to run my sponge filter, which also agitates the surface water and now an oceanic wood stone that's making super bubbles and agitates even more. Not sure what i did wrong but believe no one is more sad than my 5 year old about it

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2. Whisper pumps rated for 10 gallons each. I have just got a dual air pump to run my sponge filter, which also agitates the surface water and now an oceanic wood stone that's making super bubbles and agitates even more. Not sure what i did wrong but believe no one is more sad than my 5 year old about it

Might want to invest in a HOB powerfilter and small powerhead you can point towards the surface of the water. Both provide more gas exchange than air stones, although I do use nothing but an airstone when doing TTM. :confused: Do you have a glass cover or anything over the top of the QT?

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to invest in a HOB powerfilter and small powerhead you can point towards the surface of the water. Both provide more gas exchange than air stones, although I do use nothing but an airstone when doing TTM. :confused: Do you have a glass cover or anything over the top of the QT?
Nothing over the top. It's wide open. My overflow filters are like the hob powerfilters except they actually sit in the water attached by suction cups

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing over the top. It's wide open. My overflow filters are like the hob powerfilters except they actually sit in the water attached by suction cups

The water clearing up so fast after adding an air stone suggests a bacterial bloom occurred in your QT. Which is odd, because that typically only happens after mixing meds. o_O Does direct sunlight hit your QT at any time during the day? That can cause a bacterial bloom as well.

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water clearing up so fast after adding an air stone suggests a bacterial bloom occurred in your QT. Which is odd, because that typically only happens after mixing meds. o_O Does direct sunlight hit your QT at any time during the day? That can cause a bacterial bloom as well.
There's a window close by but usually has the curtain over it. No meds though

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back