cloudy water

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys

I have a weird situation. Suddenly my tank turned very cloudy today. No dead fish, no dead corals nothing like that. My Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, PH, KH, Ca, Mg all within range. Perfect to be honest.

I did all these tests using 2 different test kits. Aquaforest and Salifert. Then just to be sure i also did a 40% water change just now. Even after that the water is cloudy. My skimmer, pump all functioning properly. Normally my tank water will be crystal clear.

Any idea what could be the issue?

#reefsquad

20190329_171810.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. You can spend time incrementally fixing it and testing, or you can fix it all at once by taking apart the nano, cleaning out the sand, and doing a full water change then it will not be cloudy. Since it’s a nano, the cause isn’t as important as how easy that is to fix with one hours work, we have a twenty page of fixing tanks this way and it won’t come back after true cleaning as long as it’s not something you are dosing to the water

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

If you run what’s in that thread it will be crystal clear per the results logged

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how ;omg did it last. This has happened to me a few times and I added more carbon, water changed, H2O2 dosed. Then last week I found the culprit, my asterina snail spawning. The pluming lasted about 20 minutes. I left the tank alone (I figured there was great coral food in that) and the tank was clear by morning.

OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. You can spend time incrementally fixing it and testing, or you can fix it all at once by taking apart the nano, cleaning out the sand, and doing a full water change then it will not be cloudy. Since it’s a nano, the cause isn’t as important as how easy that is to fix with one hours work, we have a twenty page of fixing tanks this way and it won’t come back after true cleaning as long as it’s not something you are dosing to the water

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

If you run what’s in that thread it will be crystal clear per the results logged

Thank you for the suggestion. May be it will work but trust me it's not just 1 hour job. And by doing that I'm gonna get rid of all those good bacteria I have so far. And my corals all glued.

I'm more interested knowing why this happened. In 7 months time nothing like this happened.

how ;omg did it last. This has happened to me a few times and I added more carbon, water changed, H2O2 dosed. Then last week I found the culprit, my asterina snail spawning. The pluming lasted about 20 minutes. I left the tank alone (I figured there was great coral food in that) and the tank was clear by morning.

My light just on and it's like this for 2 hours now. Recently only I changed my carbon filter media and nitrate, ammonia remover (filter media) so that's good also. I think I'll just leave it like this until morning and observe first. My fish, coral all doing fine so I guess that's a good sign

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s ok to leave it as nothing has died. Be sure and click to see the work and outcomes and bacteria biology discussed first post, it’s opposite of what you are thinking. Your corals don’t have to come off, them being glued has no bearing on the cleaning aspect...I think we have 100 examples there so far

One click reveals twenty pages of fixing your issue without hesitation or any downside to the work for five years running...one of the best benefits from clicking on the link is learning no hesitation nano reefing-you’ll make it live forever as the longest living nanos in the world do if you’ll learn how to clean it without concern and without wait. Might find the cause of your clouding as well in the pages

The number one technique shown to age nano reefs the longest they can live possible is no hesitation cleaning, it's a big deal skill to be able to get out past the typical nano lifespan of three years before invader takeover

Last edited:
OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s ok to leave it as nothing has died. Be sure and click to see the work and outcomes and bacteria biology discussed first post, it’s opposite of what you are thinking. Your corals don’t have to come off, them being glued has no bearing on the cleaning aspect...I think we have 100 examples there so far

One click reveals twenty pages of fixing your issue without hesitation or any downside to the work for five years running...one of the best benefits from clicking on the link is learning no hesitation nano reefing-you’ll make it live forever as the longest living nanos in the world do if you’ll learn how to clean it without concern and without wait. Might find the cause of your clouding as well in the pages

The number one technique shown to age nano reefs the longest they can live possible is no hesitation cleaning, it's a big deal skill to be able to get out past the typical nano lifespan of three years before invader takeover

Thank you @brandon429 for clarifying things. I will take a look at it for sure.

Do you use any DOC? Dissolved Organic Carbon like NoPOX., vodka, suger or vinager?

Sincerely Lasse

Hi @Lasse I used NOPOX. but I stopped using that because in my other thread one other member asked me not to use NOPOX daily coz NOPOX will also feed algae etc.

Thats why i stopped using NOPOX. I've never used vodka, sugar or vinegar.. should i use them? should i start using NOPOX again?

Thanks

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most often cloudy water is due to a bacterial bloom in the water column.

For me...this is always easily cleared with 10 micron felt filter socks. If you wanna get real crazy...go with 5 micron felt socks. You’ll need to buy several because they will clog fast due to the ultra tiny micron size.

I’ve observed the clearest water I’ve ever had running 10 micron socks. Great for pictures and ultra clear water. Good luck!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had bacterial/algae blooms in my QTs. Water changes would clear it up a bit and then it would come back worse than ever. Finally bought a The Green Killing Machine UV filter. It's self contained. With a 25% water change each day and running the UV. The water was and still is the clearest possible in my 20 QT. ;)

OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your suggestions guys, really appreciate it. As you guys suggested I think i will do more water changes..

Most often cloudy water is due to a bacterial bloom in the water column.

For me...this is always easily cleared with 10 micron felt filter socks. If you wanna get real crazy...go with 5 micron felt socks. You’ll need to buy several because they will clog fast due to the ultra tiny micron size.

I’ve observed the clearest water I’ve ever had running 10 micron socks. Great for pictures and ultra clear water. Good luck!

I've never tried that before but will give it a try. not sure if i get it here.

I asked because overdosing of DOC - especially NoPOX - can create a bloom of bacteria in the water column. How long since you stop dosing?

Sincerely Lasse

I stopped using that for almost 2-3 months now.

New hairspray air fresheners hand sanitizers paint stain etc ?

No nothing like that

How does your life stock look like - does it thrive or do you have problems with it?

Sincerely Lasse

my fish , coral all ok Lasse. I guess I'll just give it bit time.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had bacterial/algae blooms in my QTs. Water changes would clear it up a bit and then it would come back worse than ever. Finally bought a The Green Killing Machine UV filter. It's self contained. With a 25% water change each day and running the UV. The water was and still is the clearest possible in my 20 QT. ;)
My water has always been just a little cloudy. I thought it was because I didn't rinse my dry rock sufficiently before I put it in. This week I bought a 24W Green Killing Machine to deal with a dino outbreak and WOW! My water has never looked so good. I guess I've had a bacterial bloom all along. These things really do work.

OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could not be as easy as a snail spawn? Or the spawn of an other critter in your aquaria?

Sincerely Lasse

Hi @Lasse a single snail spawn can cause these kinda issue? never experienced before thats why not sure

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back