cloudy water

U

User1

View Badges
I've woken up to cloudy tanks on two different occasions and while it could be a bacteria bloom it wasn't in my case. First time around I had several snails go into spawning which wrecked the tank. This was in my 40 breeder and it was a very healthy milk white color so bad that several fish struggled to breath. Carbon and a quick water change fixed the problem and I witnessed this a couple other times oddly enough and each time it only took a bit of effort from me to right with no losses.

Another time this happened to me was last year in May. I recently upgraded that 40 breeder into a 210 gallon tank due to the number of RBTA's we have (they split over the years and we started with 1 and now have 11). Anyway no sooner than a month into that tank / upgrade a pair of the larger ones decided to spawn and again a clear tank turns cloudy white that carbon and water change clean up. Because this event was only a pair of RBTA's it wasn't has bad and cleared up quickly but when they do this it gets pretty fouled quickly.

OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - the water could be verry cloudy for a day or two

Sincerely Lasse

Thank you Lasse.

I've woken up to cloudy tanks on two different occasions and while it could be a bacteria bloom it wasn't in my case. First time around I had several snails go into spawning which wrecked the tank. This was in my 40 breeder and it was a very healthy milk white color so bad that several fish struggled to breath. Carbon and a quick water change fixed the problem and I witnessed this a couple other times oddly enough and each time it only took a bit of effort from me to right with no losses.

Another time this happened to me was last year in May. I recently upgraded that 40 breeder into a 210 gallon tank due to the number of RBTA's we have (they split over the years and we started with 1 and now have 11). Anyway no sooner than a month into that tank / upgrade a pair of the larger ones decided to spawn and again a clear tank turns cloudy white that carbon and water change clean up. Because this event was only a pair of RBTA's it wasn't has bad and cleared up quickly but when they do this it gets pretty fouled quickly.

Hi @saf1

Thank you for sharing. If you dont mind me asking can let me know how to dose carbon? I have carbon in a nylon bag as a filter media. Its there forever and I used to change them every 2-3 months.

U

User1

View Badges
Thank you Lasse.

Hi @saf1

Thank you for sharing. If you dont mind me asking can let me know how to dose carbon? I have carbon in a nylon bag as a filter media. Its there forever and I used to change them every 2-3 months.

This is what happens when I post without more coffee in the morning :) By carbon I mean similar to what you are doing. I fill a mesh nylon bag of about 1 to 1 1/2 cup of BRS rox - the 0.8 aquarium carbon they sell and place it in my sump. I have reactor that I place it in and a small pump that will draw from the sump and clear it up. I do not run the carbon daily and in fact only set it up this way for this very reason since it happens to me from time to time.

It doesn't need its own reactor but I have a pair of them so bring them out from time to time. The bag can be placed in any high flow area in the sump and should help clear the water. I do not think the carbon lasts long though and usually remove the bag after 2 weeks. At least for me. There are better people here suited to answer this than I since it isn't my normal route. Like I said only when it is needed.

Sorry if I confused it with something different.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • D/C

Votes: 58 63.0%
  • Both

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 14.1%
Back