Cloudy water

Htbrooks1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a question for everyone. I have a fluval evo 13.5 intank media basket in chamber 1 with filter floss, purigen and chemipure blue. Chamber 2 I have matrix and chamber 3 is sicce 1.0 with heater. Also running a power head. A week or so ago I noticed water had tiny particles floating around. I done a water change and changed out floss, pruigen and chemipure blue. But it still seems to be cloudy. Any suggestions ? I have cleaned algea off the 2 rfg return nozzles. Really don't know what could be causing it. Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With the tank being new, I suspect bacterial bloom and believe the purigen and chemipure are competing. Remove the purigen and place on paper towels for future use and see if it clears up.

OP
OP
H

Htbrooks1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 2 months old been running chemipure blue and purigen since it was probably 3 weeks old. Do you think I should still try to remove purigen ? If I remove purigen and it clears up when should I add it back ?

OP
OP
H

Htbrooks1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the tank being new, I suspect bacterial bloom and believe the purigen and chemipure are competing. Remove the purigen and place on paper towels for future use and see if it clears up.
Water looks to be clear. But tiny white specs everywhere. I know it not microbubbles. Hard to describe

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Water looks to be clear. But tiny white specs everywhere. I know it not microbubbles. Hard to describe
Im thinking from the purigen

OP
OP
H

Htbrooks1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If removing the purigen fixes it, when can I add it back? Is it necessary ?

OP
OP
H

Htbrooks1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If removing the purigen fixes it, when can I add it back? Is it necessary ?
Purigen is out. I added another layer of floss where it was. Hopefully will see a difference. Thank you for advice

OP
OP
H

Htbrooks1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_20210322_222806670.jpg
    IMG_20210322_222806670.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
H

Htbrooks1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed the purigen lastnight and came home today to huge algea bloom and still the same water condition. Any more ideas ?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in my 3rd month of a new tank, dry rock bare bottom, first I battled dinos and when they were under control I battled algae blooms for 3 weeks tried water changes, carbon and bacteria nothing helped. I finally purchased a UV, within hours it started clearing up and by the following day my water was pristine!
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
H

Htbrooks1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in my 3rd month of a new tank, dry rock bare bottom, first I battled dinos and when they were under control I battled algae blooms for 3 weeks tried water changes, carbon and bacteria nothing helped. I finally purchased a UV, within hours it started clearing up and by the following day my water was pristine!
Hope that helps.
May I ask which uv you got for your tank or which may be the best option for my evo 13.5

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask which uv you got for your tank or which may be the best option for my evo 13.5
I purchased the CUV 155 55W. It was relatively inexpensive and I have only used it for two days, it took care of my bloom and then out of curiosity I shut it off just to see if the bloom would come back, it hasn't and it's been off 3 days or so.
Full disclosure, I have never used a UV before and really did not know what to expect. But it worked, now my dilemma is do I leave it off line until needed, run it intermittently or run it full time.
I have to do a little more research to determine that.
Regarding your tank, look at the recommended size for your tank and then decide what price range fits your needs.
Good luck.

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus one, suspect bacterial bloom. You can see the same thing when you dose Prazi sometimes too, but looks like you have the problem solved! I have been contemplating UV but was unsure. Any updates on this?

Back