Cloudy water?

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always had high nitrates at 40-50ppm and PO4 at 0.1 coral look fine algae isn’t a huge issue either. Recently started over feeding a little with the addition of new fish and seen my nitrates jump to 100+ on API test kit and PO4 at 0.25.

0 ammonia
0 nitrate

Started dosing Nopox yesterday and today 20ml each time (3ml per 100l as per the instructions)
~700 litre tank

Salifert test kit today shows nitrate between 50 and 100ppm

After 2nd dose today tank is getting cloudy? Skimmer is frothing a lot which I know is meant to happen. Should I skim wetter? Stop dosing? Or carry on as normal?

926743DE-8A97-4B30-AE4E-DFD004CCD73D.jpeg 55BDA7D6-3A3D-4648-81E3-547983281E21.jpeg

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox is causing a bacterial bloom , I would run skimmer wet and stop dosing nopox for a bit
Cheers will do - once water clears up any ideas on how much to dose to bring it down as I was only following instructions and it’s caused this

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers will do - once water clears up any ideas on how much to dose to bring it down as I was only following instructions and it’s caused this
I don’t recommend using nopox in this instance I’ve heard too many stories about a tank crash (bacterial bloom lowers oxygen causes mass die off) can you find another method to lower nitrates ? You could put some chaeto in DT or refugium , water changes, just until you get to a point where you don’t have to dose a lot of nopox

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recommend using nopox in this instance I’ve heard too many stories about a tank crash (bacterial bloom lowers oxygen causes mass die off) can you find another method to lower nitrates ? You could put some chaeto in DT or refugium , water changes, just until you get to a point where you don’t have to dose a lot of nopox
Getting down from a 100+ nitrates with water changes and chaeto sounds like a long time?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back