Clown aggression? Can it be calmed

newreeferontheblock

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 3, 2023
Messages
31
Reaction score
6
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Washington, D.C.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks -

I currently have a:
  • Pajama Cardinal (from 1/24)
  • Biota Mandarin (from 5/24)
  • Ocellaris Clown (from 11/24)
  • Darwin Ocellaris Clown (from 11/24)
who all seemed to be doing fine for a couple months. Last week, I noticed damage to my mandarin's tail fin. While I am not 100%, I think it could be the darwin clown (the larger of the two), since I saw her chasing the mandarin after feeding time (most of the time oddly all four of them hang out in the same corner of the tank). I have put the clown in a breeder box for now. A couple questions:
  • How long should I isolate it? How long will it take for the fin to heal?
  • Anything I can do to calm the aggression? Mirror trick? Feeding more?
Will try and grab a picture later this afternoon

Thanks!
Brian
 
It's the nature of the beast. In the wild clowns do not allow any other fish near their territory. In a 20 gallon other fish have no where to go. It only gets worse as they mature.
 
The Mandarin would appear as a “risk” to the clown in a small tank. The clowns would want to “own” all the real estate there.

The question will be, is that a one time lesson?
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new