Clown Behavior

myersb33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I have a 90 Gallon tank and from the beginning my first fish were two clowns. They are quite small but all the other fish I’ve bought have been juvenile to keep them from finding themselves by far the smallest things in the tang. However one fish I have is a blue diamond watchmen goby who is a little bigger then my other fish. When he was first introduced he did go after the clowns one time partially do the fact that I believe he had not eaten properly that day from the move and stress. This has resulted in the clown hanging strictly in the top left corner in the front of my tank above my power head and I believe that it is normal behavior from what I read as they like a place where they’re isolated and I don’t currently have any anemones as my tank is too young so they don’t have a proper host yet.

To sum up that cluster, I just wanted to be sure their attachment to a top corner is a normal behavior and I should just give them time as that’s what I’ve seen with similar ish questions but I was unsure

Thank you to anyone who endured through that :)

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns do weird things. Hosting the top corner isn’t usually that bad. If it never moves though, or is constantly pushed back, it is likely due to stress and is being “pinned” up there by the goby. If anything I would expect to find the goby harassed due to how mean clowns can be. Are both at the top or just one? Are they rapidly breathing or is it more calm?
Essentially what I’m trying to say is that it could be normal behavior or stress induced based on a variety of factors.

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat ...added a big goby and 2/5 clowns stay in the corner of the tank but now to think of it they’ve always done that they host my power head up there but i do think the goby made them worse ...the 2 that stay up in that spot also happens to be my nicest looking ones it’s normal as long as they’re eating your good

Back