Clown fish flow

lilfish717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently bought a gold dot maroon clown fish. He's been eating a little(not as much as I'd like to see). I do not have much flow in my tank yet. I have a little filter. I can attach a spray bar or let it flow out. I turned the filter off to feed and he was bottom dwelling and had me worried about him for a little. I turned it back on and he was out roaming looking fine although he seemed to be getting pushed alot by the current and was barely able to fight it. I put my hand in there to test the flow and I couldn't even feel it. I don't know how it's evenessing with him at all. He quickly ran past and went hiding though. What should I do in this situation? Attach the spray bar or leave it off. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently bought a gold dot maroon clown fish. He's been eating a little(not as much as I'd like to see). I do not have much flow in my tank yet. I have a little filter. I can attach a spray bar or let it flow out. I turned the filter off to feed and he was bottom dwelling and had me worried about him for a little. I turned it back on and he was out roaming looking fine although he seemed to be getting pushed alot by the current and was barely able to fight it. I put my hand in there to test the flow and I couldn't even feel it. I don't know how it's evenessing with him at all. He quickly ran past and went hiding though. What should I do in this situation? Attach the spray bar or leave it off. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks
You can’t feel the flow with your hand in front of it? Do you have anything else moving the water in the tank at all?

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not the flow, clowns are just weird. When I first got mine they were up against the glass doing a weird seizure dance. It’ll calm down once it’s used to the tank. You definitely do want some flow in there especially at the surface for oxygen etc

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not the flow, clowns are just weird. When I first got mine they were up against the glass doing a weird seizure dance. It’ll calm down once it’s used to the tank. You definitely do want some flow in there especially at the surface for oxygen etc

I had an ocellaris just dance at his reflection all day every day. With other species of Clownfish I never saw this, even other ocellaris. This one guy just loved himself so much, LOL.

My fish get blown around in the heavy, random flow all the time (I say heavy, but it maxes out at about 45x display volume). They adjust on the fly and deal with it. I worry as sometimes they are pushed near the anemone and they always save themselves fine. I also worry about my Midas Blenny. He has no swim bladder and often gets very tired after swimming in the flow (lot's of short rests). Even he deals fine with the heavy flow, though.

OP
OP
L

lilfish717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend said when she fed him today it looked like he wanted the food but couldn't go up to get It. He hasn't been eating much lately. When I came home he was swimming by this rock he likes. Still food floating around tho. I just don't want to make him overwhelmed with flow of anything even tho there's barely even any flow. I know lfs has no filters in the tank or anything and he's a captive bred so maybe he's not used to flow? Will he be OK with it?

OP
OP
L

lilfish717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ocellaris just dance at his reflection all day every day. With other species of Clownfish I never saw this, even other ocellaris. This one guy just loved himself so much, LOL.

My fish get blown around in the heavy, random flow all the time (I say heavy, but it maxes out at about 45x display volume). They adjust on the fly and deal with it. I worry as sometimes they are pushed near the anemone and they always save themselves fine. I also worry about my Midas Blenny. He has no swim bladder and often gets very tired after swimming in the flow (lot's of short rests). Even he deals fine with the heavy flow, though.
Yea I seem him twitching and stuff and thought something was wrong with him. I looked it up and everybody said it has to do with mating but is that the case even where there isn't another fish in the tank? Also still a juvenile, IDK sex but call it a "him". His dots are still white.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Mp40s in my tank which create a lot of flow, although my fish can’t swim directly in front of the powerhead I’ve never imagined they aren’t happy in the tank and they don’t have any problems swimming around. I would personally get some more flow in there rather than the other way around. Is there any surface movement in your tank? Reason for asking is that if the tank has little movement then there could be an insufficient gas exchange and low oxygen in the water. Does the fish look like it is breathing heavily?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back