Clown Fish in Trouble

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown fish has been floating sideways for a few days now and not eating. I’ve tried every food I have (about 10) to no avail. I’ve only had him/her for 3 weeks. Up til now, he or she has been eating well. Got her for a small juvenile whose mate jumped out of the tank while I was gone. Parameters are good. Other 6 fish are fine. Don’t like this part of the hobby. Any suggestions?

16b1c026c0ae2fd79059af48dcc3c800.jpg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any spots? Dusting? Sloughing skin?, heavy breathing? Is he floating at the top of the tank, does he have to make an effort to swim down but floats right back up?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are pretty succeptable to intestinal parasites. Uronema is another possibility for an internal affliction with no external symptoms.

Have you seen any white stringy poop?

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is consistent with my clown when I had Uronema. It is good nothing looks wrong on outside, once you get to that point it is often too late. Bind some metro+ to some food with seachem focus and feed directly to clown. I had to hold clown in my hand at top of water and place food into mouth.

OP
OP
ReefSCTim

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any spots? Dusting? Sloughing skin?, heavy breathing? Is he floating at the top of the tank, does he have to make an effort to swim down but floats right back up?

Yep. But no spot or skin issues.

OP
OP
ReefSCTim

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is now in a quarantine tank. I am dosing with MetroPlex. Recommended by LFS and only one they had. She seems to be swimming better after one dose. Not laying flat on top. Question: should I put the other clownfish in there too? He seems to be hanging at the top but it may just be loneliness.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is now in a quarantine tank. I am dosing with MetroPlex. Recommended by LFS and only one they had. She seems to be swimming better after one dose. Not laying flat on top. Question: should I put the other clownfish in there too? He seems to be hanging at the top but it may just be loneliness.

What are you treating for? If you are treating for a parasite (brook, ich, velvet, Uronema, etc) then all fish will need to be treated.

OP
OP
ReefSCTim

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this be used in the display tank? I have corals and invertebrates. I’m not going to be able to get all fish in the quarantine. Took 20 mins to get this one.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely others in your display could be infected as well. Internal parasites come to mind, especially if it has white, stringy poop. Metronidazole+Focus in food is effective. If soaked in food, that can be fed to fish in the display, but any drug or chemical that will be effective for an actual quarantine period can't be used in a display containing corals/ inverts, rock and sand.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, they said intestinal parasites.

You can use metro laced food in your DT but not in the water column. I would also run carbon to catch any that leaches out of the food. Feed just enough at a time so it gets eaten and not blown all over the tank.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you mix this? It’s a powder.

Thaw out a cube of frozen then flatten it out. Sprinkle one scoop of Focus on it and let it sit for 10-15 min, then I stir it up and flatten it out again. Next I add one scoop of metro and let that sit also, then stir again and flatten out. Lastly I add a drop of Garlic guard to mask the taste of meds. After each feeding you can refreeze and use again. It should last 4-5 days before you need to make more. Feed this for 14 days.

OP
OP
ReefSCTim

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thaw out a cube of frozen then flatten it out. Sprinkle one scoop of Focus on it and let it sit for 10-15 min, then I stir it up and flatten it out again. Next I add one scoop of metro and let that sit also, then stir again and flatten out. Lastly I add a drop of Garlic guard to mask the taste of meds. After each feeding you can refreeze and use again. It should last 4-5 days before you need to make more. Feed this for 14 days.

Thanks. Very informative. Appreciate it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 172 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back