clown fish pair

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clownfish... They have been cleaning a spot on the under side of a curved rock. I am thinking it is a sign that they may be getting things ready for a spawn.

I have not seen this type of interaction in my aquarium before. Any thoughts?
oh... and the female has been doing most of the work.

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair has been doing the same thing recently too. After a 76 day qt/fallow period I thought since they were finally happy and healthy it must be spawning time. I'm yet to see any eggs being laid though.

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair has been doing the same thing recently too. After a 76 day qt/fallow period I thought since they were finally happy and healthy it must be spawning time. I'm yet to see any eggs being laid though.

How long have they been exhibiting the behavior?

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been exhibiting the behavior?
Maybe 1 week they were both in the cave but now I don't see the male hanging out in there as much. The female is still pushing the sand out though which I'm assuming is cleaning/claiming the territory.

ericauch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is possible they are doing this because they want to breed however there are many variables that may hinder them from actually ever laying. Like other tank mates constantly swimming by their home. Water conditions may prevent them from laying. The nutrition of the female may hinder her from producing eggs at all. Generally though 2-3 weeks after the cleaning they will start to lay. Look for a massive amount of aggression from the female. She will even bite you if you get close enough. Once this happens it is a general sign that the female has or is starting to produce eggs.

Back