clown fish

Terry DeMott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
say I have lost 6 clown fish in the past month alk 10.8 cal 667 mag 11 sal 1.026 any ideas

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
say I have lost 6 clown fish in the past month alk 10.8 cal 667 mag 11 sal 1.026 any ideas
There are lots of questions to answer here. Are the numbers you listed accurate? If so, makes me wonder whether your water is okay altogether. Also, how long as your tank been up and how did you cycle? Do you know whether your cycle is complete? Water volume and other bioload would also be helpful to understand. Sorry about your clowns. Maybe wait a bit before adding more until you figure out what’s happening. Lots of people here that can help.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many have you killed?
There is a difference between killing fish and having a fish die under your care. We have all had fish losses for various reasons but as reefers we have a moral duty to provide the best environment we can for the animals under our care. If you have repeated fish deaths over a short period of time and you keep adding more fish rather then addressing the underlying problem that is negligence and a failure of your moral duty as a hobbyist.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is 15 yr old no white spots the clown fish are 8 yrs old
Looking at your posting history may make it difficult to determine what is occurring currently in your tank.

You post history states that the tank was completely restarted several years ago with new rock and sand. 180g is 140g with rocks. You post about having as many as 50 clownfish in this tank over the years. You post about continual problems with water chemistry parameters . Since clownfish are not schooling fish and live in pairs or small hierarchy groups in the wild we can speculate a few theories.

Fish maturing and over crowded conditions led to aggression.

Water chemistry and tank environment causing stress and harming fish.

Disease is always a consideration if you added any fish recently that were not properly QT.

Perhaps some of your 50 clownfish are just getting old and aging out.

It may be difficult to determine an exact cause of the recent fish deaths. You observed no observable signs of disease though.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back