Clown growth rate

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! i know nothing about fire clowns, is that small for a fire clown?
I'm not sure. I have only seen 3 of them in my life and I have 2 of them. But the other one was the same size as mine.
Clowns and many other fish will be stunted in a smaller tank just like goldfish.

Goldfish can get to a foot or more in a lake but in a small bowl don't grow much. Clownfish have similar growth habits.
In the sea they get rather large.

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reef fish eat throughout the day. As others mentioned pellets are a good source of nutrients. You could throw in a pinch in the morning and evening. You could also get an auto feeder and have it supplement throughout the day. I think 1 pellet per fish per hour is a good starting point.
Many thanks, I'll take your advice

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. I have only seen 3 of them in my life and I have 2 of them. But the other one was the same size as mine.
Clowns and many other fish will be stunted in a smaller tank just like goldfish.

Goldfish can get to a foot or more in a lake but in a small bowl don't grow much. Clownfish have similar growth habits.
In the sea they get rather large.
aahhh, I guess my 35g is quite small isn't it!

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah... Bixby my Maroon, was the size of my pinky nail when I got her/him last year. So small, couldn’t even fit a small pellet in its mouth. Now is well over 2 inches. Her home is a IM 40g cube.

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah... Bixby my Maroon, was the size of my pinky nail when I got her/him last year. So small, couldn’t even fit a small pellet in its mouth. Now is well over 2 inches. Her home is a IM 40g cube.
hhmmmm I'm definitely doing something wrong then

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hhmmmm I'm definitely doing something wrong then
Not necessarily, Like others said, there are many other contributing factors. But the one you can influence the most is nutrition. So start there reasonably. Increasing food, increases waste with both detritus and fish poop. Your bio system will have to make an adjustment to the new nutrients.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. In the sea clownfish protect a large area around their anemone, like 6 or 8' and they will attack you when you get close to it.

I had a percula clown in a 40 gallon for 5 years and he stayed about an inch and a half. He lived about 12 years and I only feed frozen food, live worms and clams.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From watching documentaries on fish/sea life etc, in my understanding is that pressure of water is the main factor of growth hence wales/sharks/dolphins/turtles in the deep blue sea.
if your aquarium is small there is very minimal pressure hence slower growth, you could try feeding more... I'm sure it won't hurt, as long as everything is happy I don't see this as an issue :)

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From watching documentaries on fish/sea life etc, in my understanding is that pressure of water is the main factor of growth hence wales/sharks/dolphins/turtles in the deep blue sea.
if your aquarium is small there is very minimal pressure hence slower growth, you could try feeding more... I'm sure it won't hurt, as long as everything is happy I don't see this as an issue :)
Thanks, the small size isn't a problem, I was just worried that something was wrong. I'll feed more and see what happens

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily, Like others said, there are many other contributing factors. But the one you can influence the most is nutrition. So start there reasonably. Increasing food, increases waste with both detritus and fish poop. Your bio system will have to make an adjustment to the new nutrients.
Thanks for your advice, I'll make some changes and see what happens ☺️

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll monitor the situation and see what happens I think. I'm wondering if I'm under feeding
I have fed my clown fish, chromis, mandarin once a day for the last 4 years with no problems, you can adjust accordingly to your time schedule, even in the morning add a few pellets, it won't hurt

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could change you light schedule to suit your working hours for morning then just reduce evening hours to keep same schedule if it's working, then yes if fish are awake and can see food I don't think it will be a problem, even just a sprinkle of pellets for breakfast

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back